Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Review: Dying Light

Dying Light by D. Scott Meek
Dying Light by D. Scott Meek

Source:  Review copy from Get Red PR

Rating:  3/5

In the near future, a new world order society mercilessly eradicates the last victims of the Blood Virus. "Vampyres", constantly in fear of discovery and persecution, live and walk among humans as ordinary people with an extraordinary reality and a haunting past; a deal to save the last vampyres is struck, but intrigue and betrayal ensure that while the sun will rise tomorrow, no one knows who will live to see it. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
Really liked the premise of this book; vampires were caused by a blood virus, sort of like biological warfare. Scary!

The story itself was interesting. Vampires are all around us, but hiding their true identities in order to avoid persecution. The Vampire Lord is working behind the scenes to protect his people, and there are betrayals and anti-vampire groups to contend with.

There are several different characters who act as narrators during the story, which became confusing at times as it wasn't always clear who was speaking. I figured it out sooner or later, but it was a little annoying. That surprised me, as I like multiple point of views. Guess I'm becoming a lazy reader and now need things spelled out for me!

The premise was interesting and the writing wasn't bad, but too many narrators and unexpected flashbacks made it a little confusing. I thought that this was an okay story, with a rather abrupt ending. I'm curious what happens next.

You can learn more about the book and D Scott Meek at the Dying Light website.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Reading other book blogs can be dangerous to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The premise is interesting though for now I'm sticking to blood thirsty vampires. I'm a little tired of the vampire as the hero. I'm sure I'll get out of that mood and when I do, I may have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too many narrators sounds like a recipe for disaster for me- I get confused, LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to say, I agree with you....the intro sounded really good and the cover caught my eye! Totally understand on the POV confusion...been there, read that type of issue before. Hard to keep everything straight sometimes. Still...may have to check it out, I'll just be sure to pay REALLY close attention. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. Flashbacks can be confusing if not used sparingly.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete