Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Source:  My nook

Rating: 4/5

“I’ve left some clues for you. If you want them, turn the page. If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.” So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
I loved this book! Sometimes I foolishly(?) resist reading a book when I see it saturating the blogosphere. Why? Guess I'm just ornery that way. But I quickly changed my tune when I saw that GMR at Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers had titled her review Love At First Read. I trust her reviews and she's never steered me wrong, so when she said it was a good read, I knew I just had to have it! So naturally, when I went to pick up a copy at the bookstore, they were sold out. Of course. So by now I had to have a copy and couldn't wait, so I downloaded the eBook on my nifty new nook! Score!

Loved the whole idea of finding a notebook like this on the shelves of a bookstore, especially a bookstore like The Strand! We get to know Lily and Dash through the notebook, as they're writing dares to one another and getting to know each other along the way. Of the two, I liked Lily more. She was a self-described freak, but I would have loved to have had a Lily in my life during high school! Dash was a little pretentious, but I still liked him.

The secondary characters were almost as interesting as Dash & Lily, which is unusual. Loved Lily's family, and Dash had a great collection of friends! All who seemed more than willing to help with the notebook's list of dares. Who has family and friends that accommodating? Loved it!

Gave this one a 4/5 rating as I really enjoyed it! Well paced, fun plot, interesting and likable characters. The story flows so well that you'd never guess it was written by two people. Don't make my mistake and avoid this book just because it's popping up everywhere! Sometimes, it's saturating the airwaves for a reason! This one is just that good, so go pick up a copy for yourself!


8 comments:

  1. This one looks so good! Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review Alexia! Great job...and I'm so glad you liked it! ~happy dance~ I'm like you to an extent on the books with A LOT of hype bit...not always my first inclination to read it. Lucky for me in this case I stumbled across it in a New Release email update WITHOUT having yet heard anything else about it. Bought it that same weekend and well the rest is fangirl history. ^_^ Thank you for the wonderful shout out! I feel the same on your reviews...always honest and to the point without revealing too much, great balance. Adding you to my list of "convinced-to-read-Dash-&-Lilly's-tale-and-now-a-fan" list. (hehe) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you enjoyed this one. I have yet to read a bad review of it. Best wishes for 2011 to you and yours Alexia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review and sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard good things about this one too! I also sometimes resist buying a book if it is too popular. :) Glad you liked it. I'll have to pick this one up myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of this one soon since everyone seems to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about this one for a while now. You just convinced me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love, love, LOVED this book! It was so amazing! :) Dash was such an amazing guy - I wanted my OWN Dash after reading this. The first chapter had me laughing like a lunatic. xD Great review ♥

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u