Review: Dark and Disorderly | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Dark and Disorderly

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, January 10, 2011

Review: Dark and Disorderly

Dark & Disorderly by Bernita Harris
Dark & Disorderly by Bernita Harris

Source:  netGalley

Rating:  4/5

Lillie St. Claire is a Talent, one of the rare few who can permanently dispatch the spirits of the dead that walk the earth. Her skills are in demand in a haunted country, where a plague of ghosts is becoming a civic nuisance.

Those skills bring her into conflict with frightened citizens who view Talents as near-demons. Her husband comes to see her as a Freak; so when Nathan dies after a car crash, she is relieved to be free of his increasingly vicious presence. Lillie expects to be haunted by Nathan's ghost, but not to become Suspect #1 for her husband's murder and reanimation.

But what's most surprising of all is the growing attraction between her and psi-crime detective John Thresher. He thinks that Lillie killed Nathan--and Nathan must agree, because his zombie is seeking revenge. Now she and Thresher must work together to solve her husband's murder--before his corpse kills her... (Goodreads synopsis)


My Thoughts:
While I've read books before about people who can see and interact with ghosts, don't think I've ever come across someone like Lillie before. I really liked her! She's been considered a freak almost her entire life and is dealing with the betrayal of her late husband, but still has an inner strength that I admired. Despite everything, I think she'll recover and take another chance on romance. And if that chance should somehow involve the interesting Detective Thresher, well....that could be very, very interesting.

Lillie lives in an ever-changing world. The supernatural is becoming more active, and the ghost problem needs to be addressed. Lillie is a contract employee for the town, and it's her job to address it. Sort of like a ghost remover. Natural-born talents like Lillie are usually distinguished by their silver hair and are not only able to see ghosts, but can dispatch them with a touch. Sometimes the ghosts resist, but Lillie is a strong talent and can usually handle them.

Her specialty is ghosts, but Lillie finds herself needing to know about the various myths and legends she may run into. For instance, no one expects to run into a Banshee at the local laundromat, yet Lillie does. And there are all those omens and signs foreshadowing death to keep track of.  What's that crow outside my window mean again?

Found this to be a well-written story, with good pacing and interesting characters. Like I mentioned, I really liked Lillie and hope that she survives so we can see her in action again. Future sequels maybe (hint, hint Ms. Harris!).



5 comments:

  1. I love that cover! It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first book I tried from Carina Press when they first started publishing and I was very impressed. I've checked Bernita's blog hoping there'd be more, but nothing yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about half way through it, and I am throughly fascinated by the whole book. Certainly hope we get more in this series (if it is indeed a series)Absolutely love it. Snow day tomorrow so may get to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! This sounds like a great read. And fun too. I think I'm going to have to add this one to my want list. :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least this sounds like a nice change from vampires (am I the only one becoming a bit tired of them?), thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u