I am going to be offline for awhile due to a bionic upgrade (aka knee replacement), but should be back in a month or so. Please send good vibes and happy thoughts my way! more details

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Review: The Book of Tomorrow

Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

Source:  ARC provided by the publisher, via Shelf Awareness

Rating:  5/5

Tamara Goodwin has always got everything she's ever wanted. Born into a family of wealth, she grew up in a mansion with its own private beach, a wardrobe full of designer clothes and all that a girl could ever wish for. She's always lived in the here and now, never giving a second thought to tomorrow. But then suddenly her dad is gone and life for Tamara and her mother changes forever. Left with a mountain of debt, they have no choice but to sell everything they own and move to the country. Nestled next to Kilsaney Castle, their gatehouse is a world away from Tamara's childhood. With her mother shut away with grief, and her aunt busy tending to her, Tamara is lonely and bored and longs to return to Dublin.When a travelling library passes through Kilsaney Demesne, Tamara is intrigued. Her eyes rest on a mysterious large leather bound tome locked with a gold clasp and padlock. What she discovers within the pages takes her breath away and shakes her world to its core. (Goodreads synopsis)


My Thoughts:
Cecilia Ahern is wonderful! I loved P.S. I Love You, and it brought tears to my eyes. I love a good book that makes me cry! While her other books didn't cause any tears, they're all still great reads! Cecelia can write! So as you can imagine, I was very, very happy when I received this ARC from the publisher!

At first, I didn't really care for Tamara, the main character. She's a spoiled little rich girl and, while I was sorry to learn that her father committed suicide, she was a little hard to take. Didn't really care for any of her family either, from her grieving mother to her silent Uncle Arthur to her smothering Aunt Rosaleen. I did like kind Sister Ignatius, and Tamara grew on me as the story progressed. It's probably because Tamara herself starts to grow up, face the consequences of her actions, and struggles with doing the right thing.

The travelling library where Tamara discovers the book doesn't even show up until chapter six, but by that time I had been pulled into the story and it had slipped my mind. You have to love a story that pulls you in like that! I haven't seen any mention of what the book actually is, so don't want to include any spoilers. All I will say is that I wish I had a copy when I was Tamara's age! Or even now!

This book is well written, has an interesting premise, and had me so enthralled that I kept reading just one more chapter until I realized it was 3am and I had to go to work in a couple of hours! I was so tired that the words were starting to blur, but I just had to find out what happened next! To me, that's a sign of a great read!


Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Harper (January 25, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061706302
ISBN-13: 978-0061706301



7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear this one is good---I received it a few weeks ago, too! Looking forward to reading it, especially after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This confirms it... got to get me this one NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed this one on somebody's blog awhile ago, and I was intrigued. I have read several books by this author, so I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read this! Cecelia Ahern is a favorite of mine. Rosie Dunne is one of my all time favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an ARC of this. Based on your review, I need to read this as soon as possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome review! i really liked the book of hers that i read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review! Sounds like it's quite the story...and ditto on the P.S. I LOVE YOU greatness. Very anxious to start reading this one..the TBR is just a read or two away. --glances at stack--

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, as I really appreciated it! Leave me a link and I'll swing by to say hello!

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2014 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u