Review: Angelfire | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Angelfire

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Review: Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Source:  netGalley

Rating: 3/5

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.(Goodreads)


My Thoughts:
I had mixed feelings about this one. There were parts where I really got into the story and couldn't wait to see what happened next, then there were other parts that didn't ring true for me. Overall, it was an okay story and I enjoyed it, I just didn't love it.

Ellie is not exactly your typical teenage girl, as her family is rich enough to buy her a new car for her birthday, her parents constantly fight, and she suffers from horrible nightmares every night. Horribly vivid nightmares, with terrifying monsters trying to kill her. Turns out that the nightmares are memories of previous battles, as Ellie is the reincarnation of a mighty warrior, put on Earth to protect humanity from the evil reapers.

While I understand that this is the first book in a new series, I felt that it took a little too long to set things up. Ellie seemed a little slow on the uptake, as she doesn't really remember her previous lives and she takes too long to accept her new reality. I'd like to think that if I suddenly saw monsters and was able to successfully fight them, I'd believe Will. Of course, I'd probably be paralyzed with fear and the monsters would eat me, but please humor me and leave me my delusions....

All in all, this isn't a bad start and I'm curious to read the next book to see what happens to Ellie and Will. And with Ellie's dad, as there's something not quite right with him. There were parts of the story where Ellie reminded me a little of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in that Ellie is trying to keep the rest of her life normal while fighting evil on the side. Wonder how long that's going to last?


You can learn more about the author and Angelfire at her website

Expected publication: February 15th, 2011 by HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. The book still sounds like something I want to read, but now I know its a little slow at the jump. :) But sounds like a good read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexia,
    Another nice review. You are commended at staying with the story after the parts that you felt didn't ring true.
    I also liked that it began to seem like Buffy the Vampire Killer.
    Good analogy.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting review - I appreciate your thoughts on this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u