Book Review: Blue | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Blue

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Review: Blue

Blue by Lou Aronica
Blue by Lou Aronica

Source: Review copy provided by the author

Rating:  4/5

Chris Astor is a man in his early forties who is going through the toughest stretch of his life. Becky is Chris's fourteen-year-old daughter, a girl who overcame enormous challenges to become a vibrant, vital young woman - and now faces her greatest obstacle yet. Miea is the young queen of a fantasy land that Becky and Chris created when Becky was little, a fantasy land that has developed a life of its own and now finds itself in terrible, maybe fatal trouble. Together, Chris, Becky, and Miea need to uncover a secret. The secret to why their worlds have joined at this moment. The secret to their purpose. The secret to the future. It is a secret that, when discovered, will redefine imagination for all of them. Blue is a novel of trial and hope, invention and rediscovery. It might very well take you someplace you never knew existed.(Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
At first, this story was a little confusing as it went back and forth between our world and Tamarisk, the fantasy world Becky and Chris created long ago. But once I got the hang of all of the multiple narrators and figured out who was who, the story flowed much smoother. Still not 100% sure who Gage is, but I have a rough idea.

Becky isn't your typical teenager, as she's a survivor of both childhood cancer and her parent's divorce. She has a best friend, Lonnie, who isn't the typical sidekick and made a refreshing change. I actually liked both of these girls, probably because they weren't stereotypes. Becky just wants to fit in, and is in denial that life might not be as okay as she'd like.

Between the two, I think I preferred Becky's story to Miea's. Not that Tamarisk wasn't interesting, but it was Becky's creation and I enjoyed watching her discover it during her visits. Of all of the characters, in both of the worlds, I liked Becky the most. Her father Chris did not make a good first impression, and her mother Polly was a weird combination of good mom/angry ex-wife. It was almost like she had a split personality!

This story kept me up much too late as I couldn't put it down, and I had a tough time finishing the book because it's a little hard to read with tears in your eyes. Tends to make the words go all blurry. I love a story that brings tears to my eye! The book had a strong main character, okay secondary characters, good plot, and an all over decent storyline. Definitely a good read!



5 comments:

  1. As I'm doing a lot of very late night/very early morning reading at the moment I think the jumping around that this book seems to do would totally confuse me. Perhaps another time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit it...this reminded me in some ways of The Never-ending Story. Agree with you on the tears part....just shows how involved the reader is with the whole experience. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you enjoyed this. I am liking it too. I do think the author's heart is so much into this book that a poor review would break it.

    Some great posts here from you that I have missed since we have been gone. :) My kitties love boxes too... what is up with that? Our house is full of them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. As it doesn't sound like something I would really read, it does sound like a great book. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! sounds really differnt to what i read but quite cool!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u