Saturday, December 4, 2010

Review: The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer

The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer by Lucy Weston

Source:  ARC received from the publisher

Rating:  4/5


Revealed at last in this new vampire saga for the ages: the true, untold story of the “Virgin Queen” and her secret war against the Vampire King of England. . . . On the eve of her coronation, Elizabeth Tudor is summoned to the tomb of her mother, Anne Boleyn, to learn the truth about her bloodline - and her destiny as a Slayer. Born to battle the bloodsucking fiends who ravage the night, and sworn to defend her beloved realm against all enemies, Elizabeth soon finds herself stalked by the most dangerous and seductive vampire of all. He is Mordred, bastard son of King Arthur, who sold his soul to destroy his father.

As told by Lucy Weston, the vampire prey immortalized in Bram Stoker’s Dracula, this spellbinding account will capture your heart and soul - forever. (Barnes & Noble.com synopsis)

My Thoughts:
When I was in 6th grade, I went through a phase where I read every book I could get my hands on about Elizabeth I and Henry VIII. Thought I was pretty well versed on her life and times, but somehow missed the rumors of her secret life as a vampire slayer! Who knew? ;)

I'm hesitant to read too many of the "revised histories" out there, but I couldn't resist this one; probably because of my childhood infatuation with Elizabeth. And all in all, I wasn't disappointed. Elizabeth is the main character, but we also have a few chapters from Mordred's point of view. Those are easy to identify, because his chapters are all italicized. Haven't seen that before, but made it easier to tell the chapters apart.

Have seen a few mixed reviews on this book, and several people have complained about the writing style. I liked it. Felt that it fit in well with the Elizabethan time period, yet wasn't too overblown. In fact, I liked the whole idea of Elizabeth having a secret life as a vampire slayer. The book felt like the start of a series and if there are plans for a sequel, I'm looking forward to it!


This book has a scheduled release date of December 21, 2010

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I have it on my tbr. It sounds like I will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth I is probably my most favorite historical figure. I really must read this one! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new follower, following you back actually. :-) I did not know about this book, but now I want to read it. I love this time period in history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear this one worked out for you! My first time seeing it and I must say that cover is intriguing. As for the storyline, it has potential for certain. May need to read a bit more about it first though...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete