In My Mailbox (59) | Alexia's Books and Such...: In My Mailbox (59)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, December 12, 2010

In My Mailbox (59)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. It's been awhile since I've done an IMM post. I've still on a book buying ban (sorta, kinda) and am trying to reduce my TBR piles, but a few titles have snuck into my mailbox the past couple of weeks. I've included links to Goodreads if you want more information on the book.

For Review:

Received an ARC of Wither by Lauren DeStafano from the publisher. It's the start of a new series, and sounds incredibly intriguing.

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb - males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.



Recieved a review copy of Blue from the author, Lou Aronica. I've cut back on the number of review copies I'm accepting, but this one looked too good to resist!

Chris Astor is a man in his early forties who is going through the toughest stretch of his life. Becky is Chris's fourteen-year-old daughter, a girl who overcame enormous challenges to become a vibrant, vital young woman - and now faces her greatest obstacle yet. Miea is the young queen of a fantasy land that Becky and Chris created when Becky was little, a fantasy land that has developed a life of its own and now finds itself in terrible, maybe fatal trouble. Together, Chris, Becky, and Miea need to uncover a secret. The secret to why their worlds have joined at this moment. The secret to their purpose. The secret to the future. It is a secret that, when discovered, will redefine imagination for all of them. Blue is a novel of trial and hope, invention and rediscovery. It might very well take you someplace you never knew existed.


Purchased:

Picked up a copy of Wolfsbane by Patricia Briggs with an irresistible coupon at the bookstore. I love Patricia, and am looking forward to reading this one! It was practically free, so how could I resist? ;)

Shapeshifting mercenary Aralorn leads a dangerous existence. Now she must return home for her noble father, the Lyon of Lambshold, has passed away. But when Aralorn and her companion Wolf arrive, they find he's not dead, but ensorcelled by the ae'Magi, using him as a conduit to destroy Aralorn and Wolf. She must overcome this mysterious mist or fall to the blackest of magic.



Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is the book I was going to use my irresistible bookstore coupon on, but they didn't have any copies. So I came home and read it on my nook instead. Loved it!

“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”


This one is a little embarrassing....I picked it up for one of my Secret Santas. Then looked at it as I started to wrap the gifts. Hmmmm...look at all the awesome authors in this collection. Let me just glance through it to see if I should buy myself a copy. Suddenly, I'm reading it instead of wrapping it. Sucked me right in! Oopsie. Secret Santa got something else, because this one is too good to let go! :D


Happy Reading!

 


17 comments:

  1. I got Wither this week too. I also recently read Wolfsbane too. I thought it was great. My mailboxes are here and here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wither looks like a great book. And Dash and Lily, I've heard about it and the cover looks great.

    Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got wither last week, too!! wolfsbane looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy reading!

    If you want to know what I got in my mailbox this week, check out my blog here-

    http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com/
    Merry Christmas!
    Gabrielle Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy the books you got. Happy Reading. Check out what I got In My Mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got WITHER! Girl who do you know??? Must be your lucky karma within your mailbox.

    Enjoy the reads & where's the hot choco... oh wait you were suppose to get that ready for me here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wither has such a gorgeous cover. I've seen it a lot this week- hope you enjoy!

    Here's what's in my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Wither! I can't wait to get started on that one. And I'm interested to see what you think of Wolfsbane, I love Patricia Briggs and her Mercy series, but haven't tried anything else of hers yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you have some fun ones there, Alexia - enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I stopped by your blog today. I had to laugh at your book buying ban. I'm in the same boat and made a commitment not to buy any more books this year, but a friend stopped by today with a bag full of books for me. I'm thinking of stacking them in lieu of a Christmas tree . . .
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great collection of books. I think I did that with my secret Santa last year if I remember right. So you aren't the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, Wither looks really good, and I've heard good things about Dash & Lily! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares looks really good. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo, I hope you enjoy your books. :) WIther looks really good and I have Patricia Briggs book on my want list as well. :)

    Hope you have a great week!

    I have Monday's beginnings up if you would like to stop by...
    http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/2010/12/mondays-beginnings-68.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOh...WITHER is on my TBR list too! Certainly agree on BLUE as well, sounds interesting. SO glad you loved DASH & LILY'S BOOK OF DARES! Wasn't it simply bookishly fun?? Happy holidays by bloggish friend...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope to see your reviews on all of these great books you've picked out for 2011 reading.
    Mike Draper

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u