Book Review: Mothers & Other Liars | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Mothers & Other Liars

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Book Review: Mothers & Other Liars


Mothers & Other Liars by Amy Bourret

Source: ARC received from the publisher

Rating: 4/5

How far will a mother go to save her child? Ten years ago, Ruby Leander was a drifting nineteen-year-old who made a split-second decision at an Oklahoma rest stop. Fast forward nine years: Ruby and her daughter Lark live in New Mexico. Lark is a precocious, animal loving imp, and Ruby has built a family for them with a wonderful community of friends and her boyfriend of three years. Life is good. Until the day Ruby reads a magazine article about parents searching for an infant kidnapped by car-jackers. Then Ruby faces a choice no mother should have to make. A choice that will change both her and Lark's lives forever. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
Am embarrassed to admit that this book has been sitting on my shelf for several months, forgotten and neglected. After finally reading it, I'm sorry I waited so long. It was so good, I could barely put it down! The characters were unbelievably real, the situation they find themselves in was heartbreaking, and the writing was amazing!

Ruby is a loving mother who I liked from the very beginning. She has made a good life for herself, with an adorable daughter, great friends, and a wonderful boyfriend. But it all threatens to come crashing down when she happens upon an article in a tabloid. The ramifications are devastating.

One of the things I liked about Ruby is that she doesn't have all of the answers and makes mistakes. Who knows how anyone would react if faced with the same situation, but I found myself respecting her choices. I liked almost all of the characters, even if they didn't behave the way I wanted them to. The writing was beautiful, as it flowed so smoothly that I totally got lost in the story. Great pacing, strong characters, wonderful writing; the only thing that kept this from being a 5/5 was the ending, which I didn't find believable and sort of jerked me out of the moment. Up until  the last few chapters, it's a solid story. Aside from the end, I loved this book! Even that didn't ruin the book, just stopped it from being perfect for me. Others may very well love the ending, so curious if anyone else has a different take?

Don't make the same mistake I did in ignoring this book! Go! Read it! And let's discuss that ending!


1 comment:

  1. This one has been on my wishlist forever! Glad to hear it was great!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u