Book Review: How's Your Dad? Living in the Shadow of a Rock Star Parent | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: How's Your Dad? Living in the Shadow of a Rock Star Parent

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, December 3, 2010

Book Review: How's Your Dad? Living in the Shadow of a Rock Star Parent


How's Your Dad? by Zoe Street Howe

Source:  Review copy provided by the publisher

Rating: 3/5

In this frank and funny book, Zoe Street Howe breaks the glitzy surface of a media obsession and seeks the reality from the horses' mouths. Whether you rejoice or seethe at the mention of Peaches, Jade or Jack or if you are born of rock heritage yourself and are considering changing your name and moving to Mongolia, this book may make you see things a little differently. Zoe Street Howe speaks to Ian Dury's son Baxter, Dylan Howe (Steve Howe), Julian Lennon, Calico Cooper (Alice Cooper), Jazz Mellor (Joe Strummer), Natascha Bruce (Jack Bruce), Aaron Horn (Trevor Horn), Hollie Cook (Paul Cook) and many other children of iconic figures in the music industry in this revealing slice of rock 'n' roll literature. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
Have to admit that I love behind the scenes books about rock stars. I loved I'm With the Band by Pamela Des Barres, the books about the Beatles, and all the dirt published on the Rolling Stones. Didn't matter that these were all before my time, I still got a kick out of the up-close-and-personal look at life as a wild rock star. So when I was offered the opportunity to review a book about said rock star's children, I thought it would be interesting to see them from their child's perspective.

While I really like the premise of this book, I don't think it ultimately delivered. May have been because I didn't know many of the rock stars mentioned (Ian Dury? Marc Bolen? Steve Howe?), or may have been the feeling I got after finishing the book that it had just skimmed the surface. I was left wanting more.

The author kept coming back to Steve Howe and his family, which made sense as she's married to Steve's son Dylan. I have heard of the group Yes but couldn't tell you the member's names, so glad she told us who was who. And while I have heard of Bob Geldof, there seemed to be an awful lot about his daughters, especially Peaches. Guess she's a regular in the British tabloids, but I'm not all that interested.

All in all, this wasn't really the book I was expecting. It's a good overview about how expectations are high if your parent is famous, but we sort of already knew that. Would have liked either a broader sampling of children, or a more in-depth focus on just one or two. Not a bad book, just not great either.



2 comments:

  1. Alexia,
    Enjoyed your review and the way you added the personal experiences to your analysis of the book.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotcha. I was thinking the same thing when I read the description...didn't recognize many of the names. OH well...win some and lose some. Happier reading on your next book!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u