Book Review: Halo | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Halo

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Book Review: Halo

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Source:  Review copy received from the publisher

Rating:  4/5

Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings.

But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he′s charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth. (Goodreads synopsis)


My Thoughts:
I've seen this book around the blogosphere and had it on my wishlist, so was very excited when I received a review copy from the publisher! And it was well worth the wait, as once I started reading, it was hard to put down!

Really liked the idea of three angels coming to Earth and trying to blend in while on an undercover mission. Was torn about Bethany though, as she acted more like an overly dramatic teenager than an angel. At times, she was even a little bratty. I understand that she was a new angel, but she was awfully impulsive and behaved like a Drama Queen at times. She put the entire mission in jeopardy without thinking of the consequences. I'm sorry, but I expect more from my angels... ;)

Enjoyed Bethany's friends and her new boyfriend. The boy was practically a saint, so understand how he wound up with an angel for a girlfriend! Didn't really care for the bad guy and thought he could have been a little more well-developed. I knew he was bad, but never really got a sense of menace or outright evil.

In the end, I really enjoyed this book! Thought the writing was good, nice action, well-paced, and while some of the characters could have been a little more developed, in the end it was a really good story! Now I know why so many bloggers raved about this book, and I can highly recommend it to anyone who loves YA!

7 comments:

  1. I have some unfounded prejudice against angel books, so I've been unwilling to pick this one up. I enjoyed the first couple books in the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, but it stopped there for me. Perhaps Halo isn't the next book to get me on the angel bandwagon, but I do appreciate your honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going on a YA hiatus but thanks to your review when I do start to read them again, this will towards the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've seen this one around a lot too! I need to get myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egad...I have yet to read this one...I think it slipped out of the TBR somehow, must go look. As for your review...raised some interesting points. I've heard mixed things as far as the story line and character development...glad to see that from your viewpoint it was minimal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you liked this one! I wanted to read it just because the cover is so darn pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I'm getting a little tired of angel books, I've heard so many great things about this and think I need to give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this one at the moment and so far it is really good! I can see why everyone's been so excited about it! A great review!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u