Review: Cookie Swap! | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Cookie Swap!

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Review: Cookie Swap!

Cookie Swap! by Lauren Chattman

Source:  Review copy provided by the publisher via BEA

Rating:  4/5


Ideal for these thrifty, DIY times Cookie Swap! is an idea-packed, fun-filled, slightly sassy guide for everyone who wants in on the latest entertaining trend: cookie swaps! It outlines all the basics for planning and hosting a cookie exchange, as well as loads of extras: the rules of the swap; cookie swap math; swap-party themes; invitations; games; decorating and baking tips; essential equipment and pantry items; and more. And of course it features more than 60 delectable, foolproof recipes (and dozens of variations) for cookies of every sort, from simple drop cookies like Classic Peanut Butter Cookies and Hazelnut Espresso Chip Cookies to sophisticated sweets like Flaky Cardamom Palmiers and Green Tea Sandwich Cookies with Almond Cream. There are plenty of options, too, for people who prefer their cookies on the savory side, have special dietary needs, or who'd rather do their "baking" without turning on the oven. A full-color gatefold shows the cookies in all their tempting, swap-table splendor. (Goodreads synopsis)


My Thoughts:
While I'm not much of a cook due to lack of interest, I've always loved baking and my all-time favorite project has always been cookies! Cookies can be as simple or as elaborate as you like, and are always welcome no matter what the occasion!

I was pleasantly surprised when this book showed up in my mailbox, as I had forgotten I'd left my card with the publisher at BEA. I had left my card with several publishers, but Workman Publishing is the only one to have kept their promise of sending me a review copy. Yea Workman!

This title arrived at a perfect time, as I was able to try some of the recipes in time for Thanksgiving. Received nothing but rave reviews, and the recipes I tried were all easy to make! I'm a big fan of drop cookies, but this book also offers recipes for sandwich cookies, bar cookies, pastry cookies, biscotti, and shaped cookies. There's even a section on cookies for special diets (nut-free, wheat-free, sugar-free), which is a great addition.

Each recipe has a picture of the finished product, a list of ingredients, simple to follow directions, and some even offer variations. For instance, I've been making chocolate chip cookies for years, but never thought to add cinnamon and cayenne pepper to spice things up! Can't wait to see the reactions to that cookie!

All in all I think this is a great book for the cookie-lover! Loads of great recipes as well as helpful advice for hosting a cookie swap of your very own. There's even a countdown checklist to help you prepare for the cookie swap. Very helpful! So if you love to bake cookies, I think you'll love this book! Think I'll try the molasses raisin recipe next....



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read of you leaving your details with various publishing companies. Part of me would love to review books like this and yet another part of me feels it is such a big responsibility. If I can be as bold, I'd love for you to do a post on tips and your experiences of reviewing for publishers.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u