Book Review: Zombies vs. Unicorns | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Zombies vs. Unicorns

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, November 22, 2010

Book Review: Zombies vs. Unicorns

Zombies vs. Unicorns Anthology

Source:  Borrowed from Library

Rating:  4/5

It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths--for good and evil--of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?

My Thoughts:
After careful review of all of these stories and despite a strong showing by Team Zombie, I proudly declare myself Team Unicorn! This collection proves once and for all that unicorns are not sparkly, cuddly and girly, but are awesome! And BTW, killer unicorns rock!

This was a strong collection of short stories with either a zombie or unicorn theme. Loved the little introductions at the beginning of each story, where Holly and Justine made their pro-zombie/pro-unicorn arguements. Nice touch, and very funny!

The stories alternate between zombie and unicorn, and there's a helpful icon above each title in case you want to read only one theme. But even if you're firmly in one camp or the other, I think you'll miss out if you don't read all of the stories, as there are some real winners in this collection!


7 comments:

  1. I have this one on my TBR pile. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Alexia! I've heard of this one but haven't seen any other reviews. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg that sounds like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, great review! Thanks! I've been on the wall about this book, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read a small portion of the book, but I attended a little rally about this in Austin, TX a while back, and they made me a part of Team Zombie... I don't know if I'd stay that way after finishing the book, but who knows?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was waiting to see if someone who's reviews I trust liked this book or not. Now, based on your review, I'm going to have to put this one on the old wishlist. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u