Review: Getting There by Gerry Boylan | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Getting There by Gerry Boylan

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Review: Getting There by Gerry Boylan

Getting There by Gerry Boylan

Source:  ARC provided by Phenix & Phenix Litarary Publicists

Rating:  3/5

In 1973, after a shocking event turned his life upside down, Luke spent his youth hitchhiking along I-75 between Florida and Michigan, meeting an extraordinary cast of characters, surviving the dangers and tragedies of the road, and falling in love. Fast-forward thirty years: Luke now struggles to reconcile the boy he was with the middle-aged father he's become. And he wonders whether it's wise to trust the young hitchhiker he's picked up on his latest road trip. (Goodreads synopsis)

My Thoughts:
I read this story right after finishing Gerry Tales, which may have been a mistake as it was inevitable that I'd compare the two. This is a work of fiction, but I found myself preferring his book of true stories. There were a few instances that reminded me of one of his true stories, which makes sense as even with fiction, authors are inspired by their real life.

The book alternates between Luke's past as a young hitchhiker, and his present as a father driving his daughter to college. For some reason, this one didn't flow as smoothly as his other book. Again, I probably made a mistake reading them back to back, but hindsight is 20/20.

Gave this book a 3/5 as I didn't really like present Luke, and thought that past Luke was a more sympathetic character. It was still an okay read, but I didn't really care for the young hitchhiker they picked up on the way to college. On the whole, I'd say that this was an average story that didn't really grab me. I still think that Gerry is a talented writer, but I prefer his non-fiction.


4 comments:

  1. I was just about to ask if this was fact or fiction when you answered my question. Sorrt that you were a bit disappointed with this one, its sometimes so hard not to compare books especially when you have read two similar stories quite close together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm not m cup of tea, Though its doesn't sound half bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard not to compare books. I read a book recently which I had read the first in the series but accidentally skipped the second. The third one was not in anyway as good as the first. I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexia;
    I enjoyed the review. Thanks for analyzing the book.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u