Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review: Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Source:  eARC provided by the publisher, via NetGalley

Rating: 4/5

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures -goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty -are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming. (Goodreads summary)

My Thoughts:
Really enjoyed this one! It's a little different mythology than I'm used to, and introduced me to some Irish legends as well. In this world, goblins are what I normally think of as fairies. No Unseelie or Seelie courts are mentioned, just the nasty goblins. I liked Kersten's take on fairy, as so many authors are in love with the beautiful fey, so it was refreshing to find someone who thought they weren't all that. ;)

Teagan's mother was raised by Irish Travellers, but settled down with Teagan's father to raise a family. Everything is normal until cousin Finn shows up to stay with them, as the goblins have followed. Things begin to go wrong, and it's up to Teagan and Finn to set things right! And if they happen to catch each other's eye along the way.... well, these things happen.

Gave this one a 4/5 as I really enjoyed it! Loved the characters, the plot was well paced and interesting, it's well written, and the author came up with an original idea. So glad that this was offered on NetGalley, as I'm not sure I would have picked it up otherwise. I highly recommend this one if you love original storylines and good fantasy!

This book will be released November 15, 2010.



9 comments:

  1. I'm interested to find out more about the Irish legend side of this book - thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful book and I'm already in love with the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I've never read about goblins before. I'd love to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for this one, this is a great review, and I've heard lots of good things about it before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good book for my family. I just finished reading Haunted Honeymoon. It was a little different than the "normal" vampire/zombie books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the wonderful review, Alexia! I'm glad you liked Tyger Tyger! I can't wait for it to come out. :)

    Waiting might be the hardest part of being a writer. Okay, that and the actual writing part...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Alexia. Great review. :) I have mine here on the computer, But I am waiting until closer to release day to review it. :) I want to remind everyone that it is comeing out so they go get it. Sounds like a great book I will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, that's a similar reaction to mine when I first saw this one....wasn't sure I'd pick it up, but after reading a few reviews (including this one), can't wait! Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete