Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

 Source: ARC provided by the publisher, via Shelf Awareness  

 Rating: 5/5

 On Sale Date:  9/21/2010


Synopsis:
Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

My Thoughts:
This story sucked me in and wouldn't let me go! I've heard about changelings before, but never thought to wonder what life was like for the ones who survived. Mackie's older sister Emma explains that if the new mother loves the replacement and takes really good care of it, the changeling can grow up strong and healthy and normal. But Mackie knows the truth; mothers didn't love the hungry, scary things that replaced their babies. They couldn't. But sometimes, if the changeling was lucky, maybe sisters could. And lucky for Mackie, he had Emma.

Mackie is an interesting character. He's spent his entire life trying to avoid notice and be invisible, as life can be painfully short for those who are different. As Mackie points out: people get beaten to death for being me. People have close, personal relationships with lynch mobs for being me. I am on the outside all the time, with no chance at a normal life, no way to be average or to fit in. That sounds so sad and lonely, that my heart really went out to him.

Life is getting harder and harder for Mackie, as being constantly surrounded by iron has taken it's toll and he hasn't felt healthy in a long time. Emma comes to the rescue once again, trying to help, but unknowingly making things...complicated. Then one of the children taken is his schoolmate's little sister, and Tate won't let Mackie turn a blind eye any longer.

Gave this book a 5/5 as I simply couldn't put it down. The writing drew me in, the characters were all engaging, it was fast paced, and I thought it was an original and interesting story. The cover was a little scary and I thought it would be more of a horror story, but I think it read more like dark fantasy. This book was so well done that I was surprised to discover that this is Brenna's first novel. She is incredibly talented, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!

13 comments:

  1. Ooh a super scary front cover, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy did I love this book! It helped me get through an 11 hour train ride back from BEA. Creepy, original and engaging. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this was a great book, was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover reminds me of Rosemary's baby (remember that movie - oh, I'm so dating myself). I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review, 5 out of 5, it must be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it too!
    I agree, this book definitely sucked me in as well. So beautifully creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I want this book! Want, want, want! Soon... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover of this book, and I'm glad the story is addictive! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen so many great reviews for this book! I cannot wait to read this! Now I know to save it for when I have a day to devote to finishing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one sounds like something my daughter and I both would like. I actually took her to the library today (since she was sick and needed stuff to read). I bet the librarian thinks we are weirdos. She had fantasy books, I had ghost stories, and I got a Dave Barry book for Bryan. The librarian probably thinks we are a family of psychos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to read this one for a while now. I agree the cover is amazing and the book sounds so good. Great review.

    You have been BITTEN BY A BOOK BLOGGER ZOMBIE! If you want to find a cure before turning into a zombie, go here: http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/09/book-blogger-zombie-giveaway-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...great review! You've certainly got me interested.... *jots on wish list* ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noting this one down and awesome review girl.

    I have to celebrate Hallow's Eve so what better way than this book.

    ReplyDelete