Review: Red Hot Fury by Kasey MacKenzie | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Red Hot Fury by Kasey MacKenzie

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review: Red Hot Fury by Kasey MacKenzie

 Red Hot Fury by Kasey MacKenzie

 Source: Public Library

 Rating: 4/5

As a Fury, Marissa Holloway belongs to an Arcane race that has avenged wrongdoing since time immemorial. As Boston’s Chief Magical Investigator for the past five years, she’s doing what she was born to: solving supernatural crimes.

It’s far from business as usual when the body of one of Riss’s sister Furies washes up in Boston harbor. Riss discovers that the corpse’s identity has been magically altered, but as soon as she reports her findings, she’s immediately - and inexplicably - suspended from the her job. Then a human assassin makes an attempt on her life, and Riss starts to realize that someone may be trying to stir up strife between mortals and Arcanes.

When a Fury gets mad, she gets even, and Riss is determined to untangle this case. Without the support of the mortal PD, Riss turns to the one man she can trust to watch her back - shapeshifting Warhound Scott Murphy. But since Scott is also Riss’s ex, she’ll have to keep a tight leash on more than just the supernatural rage that feeds her power as they try to solve a murder - and stop a war… (Goodreads summary)

My Thoughts:
Really enjoyed this one! I don't think I've read a book featuring furies before, and never really knew their mythology. Love it when I come across new myths and legends! Liked the background provided about harpies and warhounds as well. Very cool!

Really liked Riss, the Fury who is trying to track down why Arcanes have been disappearing, and why someone wants her to think that her missing best friend is dead. She's one of those kickass heroines that I love, and I really liked her. Maybe it was her struggle to do the right thing, and keep a lid on her rage? I can totally relate to that. (be afraid! be very afraid!) *L*

Anyway, once Riss is suspended from her job as Chief Magical Investigator and realizes that assassins are trying to kill her, she turns to the only person she can trust to keep her safe; her ex-love, Scott. Helps that his family are warhound mercenaries, another species I wasn't familiar with. Let's pause for a moment and bask in the sheer animal magnetism of Scott the warhound....*sigh*...um, sorry, where was I?

So we have a Fury trying to solve a mystery with no back-up, while on the run from the authorities and assassins both. The possibility of sparks flying with an ex. The discovery that Arcanes have been disappearing over the last few years. All connected to a horrible, evil plot that could lead to war between the races. Whoa!

Really enjoyed this book! Good action, interesting characters, a great heroine, sexy-yet-not-annoying men, and an actual plot! Kasey is a very talented writer, and I really enjoyed the universe she came up with. This is listed as a Shades of Fury novel, so hoping that it will be a series! Would love to see more of Riss and Scott, want to see what happens with Cori, curious about how Olivia will turn out, want more of the harpies, and would like to meet more of the Murphy clan. And did I mention my new fascination with warhounds?



9 comments:

  1. Ooh, Furies! Really new concept! Great review, and I'll keep an eye out for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book and I was pleased to see you gave it 4/5 - I didn't read the rest because I want to start reading it without knowing anything else, but I am thrilled that it appears to be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool. I have never heard of furies before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to look into the Shades of Fury series but maybe I can skip ahead to reading this one first.

    Great review and this book sounds like my kind of HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun read, glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the fury mythology sounds interesting! love the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover seems to fit this book perfectly. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lot of people are liking this one. I might have to move it up in the TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you enjoyed this book. I had heard a few people say it was a little slow and okay, but not wow stuff. I really enjoyed your review here. Now I don't feel like the only one who still wants to read the book. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u