Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Rating: 5/5

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 448 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins; 1 edition (August 3, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061969559



Book Blurb:
Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books - but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.


My Thoughts:
Wow.

This book was amazing!

Have to admit that when I first heard of it, thought it sounded interesting, but it wasn't on my "must get" list at BEA. Then I started seeing people walking around the Expo wearing t-shirts. And I started to hear people talking about what an amazing book it was and that the ARCs were going fast. That got my attention, so next time I passed by the publisher's booth, I asked about it. They didn't have any copies, but suggested I swing by later. Took me several more visits before I finally snagged a copy, and I'm so glad I did!

For having no real expectations of this book, it blew me away! Gave it a 5/5 rating because it sucked me in and I could not put it down! Stayed up much too late to finish reading it, despite having to get up early the next morning. I can't put my finger on what I loved most about this book or why I couldn't put it down, but there was just something about the story that really grabbed me.

I really liked learning about the Loriens and their world. There is a subtle environmental message in that the bad guys destroyed their world and are now travelling the galaxy, stripping other worlds of all of their resources. But the message wasn't preachy or in-your-face, which I really appreciated.

Liked Number Four, and could sympathize with his desire to just be a normal boy and stop running, even though that was impossible. It must be hard to constantly be the outsider, and I understand his desire to make friends and stay put. Too bad he's an alien with bad guys on his tail, trying to kill him.

The book was well written, action packed, with interesting characters. Looking forward to seeing where the author takes this series, as it rocks! Let me know if you've read it, as I'd love to compare notes!


I received this ARC at BEA, from the publisher 


11 comments:

  1. I just bought this one yesterday for my school's library! Thank you for the positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such great things about this book. I've definitely got to add it to my tbr pile. Thanks for the great review! :)
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished this one a while ago but haven't had time to write a review yet. I enjoyed it quite a bit htough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen - Think this is a great choice for a school library! Hope the students love it as much as I did!

    Lisa - Thanks for stopping by! Hope you decide to pick up a copy, as it's an amazing read!

    Ryan - Will keep an eye out for your review, as we have similiar tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same reaction at BEA. It was so well advertised there, but I had never heard of it before. But oh! I loved it! i'm giving a book talk on it to all of my students on Friday! Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this too! I'm really interesting to see what they do with the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this one last week. My son devoured it - loved it! I can't wait to read it next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this book. I'll have to get if for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Remmers - So glad to hear you loved it too! Hope your students enjoy!

    Tara - Didn't know there was going to be a movie as well. Should be awesome!

    Pam - I think your daughter will love it! And maybe Mom will too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep hearing about this Number series book and now I'm really intrigued after reading your Amazing take. Great review and STOP! i can't possibly add more to the Book LIST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a good book! I totally agree: I gave it a 5/5 as well. It should be coming out soon as a film, at least that's what I think...
    Anyway, a great and very honest review! And definately a book everyone should read!

    ReplyDelete