Review: Dying Bites by D D Barant | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Dying Bites by D D Barant

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, August 27, 2010

Review: Dying Bites by D D Barant

Dying Bites by D D Barant

Source:  Personal Library

Rating:  4/5

Her job description is the “tracking and apprehension of mentally-fractured killers.” What this really means in FBI profiler Jace Valchek’s brave new world - one in which only one percent of the population is human - is that a woman’s work is never done. And real is getting stranger every day.


My Thoughts:
This is the second book I've read recently where the main character is an ordinary human in a supernatural world. The twist this time is that Jace is pulled from our non-magical world to an alternate reality, where vampires and werewolves are the majority and humans the minority. She's an expert profiler for the FBI, and her skills are badly needed in a world where they've never had to deal with serial killers before.

Really liked Jace, and she handled being in a new world a lot better than I would have. Might have had something to do with her job and personality, but she coped pretty well. Enjoyed the secondary characters too, from the friendly Dr. Pete to her liaison Gretchen to the nerdy forensic scientist Eisfanger to her new partner Charlie. Of course, Dr. Pete and Dr.Eisfanger are werewolves, Gretchen is a vampire, and Charlie? Charlie is a golem, infused with the spirit of a tyrannosaurus rex. Hey, that's a great quality to have in a partner, and it doesn't hurt that Charlie has a wicked sense of humor to boot!

Thought that this was a good start to a new series, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Jace adjusts to her new world. I also enjoyed the alternate reality bits and learning about how different this new world was from ours. People are people no matter what, even if they are vampires or werewolves. :)

Gave this a 4/5 for it's good plot, interesting and likable characters, well paced action, and the central mystery of discovering the serial killer. Recommended to anyone who enjoys the urban fantasy world where supernaturals have regular jobs instead of being all mysterious and stereotypical.



9 comments:

  1. Mentally fractured! What a lovely term. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely sounds like a great urban fantasy novel. I'll have to check out the series when I'm in the mood for this genre. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one, but I like the idea. I might have to give it a shot. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new one for me too. Definitely shows like one I'd enjoy. I love the books that have some humor in them too as so often UF is so dark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice review :) I do remember reading this, or something like this - but I don't think it made a big impression
    (plus right now I'm in the middle of mockingjay, and can't focus on anything else! all other books have been edged out)
    e-Volving Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are really growing my Wishlist!!!! :) But this book sounds like a great read. I have not heard about it until now. So off I go to add it to my list. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hadn't yet heard of this one! gonna look for it at my library and see if it's there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review makes me want to look for this mystery in the paranormal world. Have you heard of Posed for Murder?? I just saw it on a teaser last week and am thinking of getting it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u