Who do you write like? | Alexia's Books and Such: Who do you write like?

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Who do you write like?

While bopping around the blogosphere, I came across an interesting post over at Pen and Paper. If you've never visited that blog before, I highly recommend it, as Petty Witter finds the most interesting tidbits online, then shares them with us! I laugh, ponder, and/or learn something new almost every time I visit. Be sure to stop by and say hello when you have a chance, as her blog is awesome!

The post that caught my eye during this particular visit was about a website called I Write Like...., where you input a sample of your writing for analysis, then you're told which famous author your writing style resembles. The site was created by Dmitry Chestnykh, a 27-year-old Russian software programmer currently living in Montenegro. Though he speaks English reasonably well, it is his second language.

Unable to resist, I submitted a couple of paragraphs from old blog posts. Here's my result:



I write like
Cory Doctorow
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Hmmmmm. This is a little embarrassing, but I've never read Cory Doctorow. I've heard that most people get Stephen King, so I try another paragraph. Cory again. I suspect cookies are now involved, so I delete them and try yet another sample. Cory once again. The site is determined that I write like Cory Doctorow, so there's nothing left to do but read some of his books now. Um...is he a he, or a she? How embarrassing....

If you decide to check this out, please be sure to stop back and let me know who you write like! And if you've read Cory Doctorow, which book would you recommend? ;)



10 comments:

  1. I also got Cory Doctorow! Funny, I've never read his books either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've submitted four of my reviews, and got 4 different authors lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha. I'll have to give it a try. I'll let you know who I'm paired with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this the other day...really interesting site, but not sure how it works. That day, it pegged me as writing like Stephen King no matter I pasted. Today, it listed one as Cory Doctorow and a second like H.P. Lovecraft. O_o (Odd)
    Thanks for the post and reminder of this fun site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got Leo Tolstoy the first two times, then Kurt Vonnegut on the third try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used two different book reviews and the first time I got Vladamir Nabakov and the second, H.P. Lovecraft! I'm going to wait until I get some of my novel written and then try it then. I think fiction writing would be judged differently, but who really knows! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that some of you got different authors for different posts. I went back and tried two more writing samples, and got Cory again! Really need to read him now! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, what a funny little exercise that was! I plugged in four different blog posts and got four different people every time! Shall I keep going? Maybe it will say I write like pretty much everyone out there..... (so far, no Stephen King though...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, at least you didn't get an author you didn't like his writing style. :( That was me. I'd read or tried to read one of William Gibson's books. Didn't care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just happened upon this post, and though I am three years late, I am here to tell you that Cory Doctorow is the author of the popular YA novel "Little Brother." If you still haven't read it, I highly suggest you do. It's a kind of techy thriller for teens. I read it and really enjoyed it. Plus he just came out with a sequel!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u