Review: Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Review: Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler

Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler

Source:  Personal library

Rating:  5/5

Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and Ryu - Jane's bloodsucking boyfriend - can't let a major holiday go by without getting all gratuitous. An overwhelming dose of boyfriend interference and a last-minute ticket to Boston later, and Jane's life is thrown off course.

Ryu's well-intentioned plans create mayhem, and Jane winds up embroiled in an investigation involving a spree of gruesome killings. All the evidence points towards another Halfling, much to Jane's surprise... (book blurb)

My Thoughts:
This book starts off shortly after the end of Tempest Rising, book one of the series. Jane is training with Nell (a gnome) and Trill (a kelpie), but having a hard time getting a handle on her powers. But she is making progress, as she still has both eyebrows!

Jane’s romantic Valentine’s Day weekend with her vampire boyfriend Ryu is interrupted when they’re attacked by fire balls. Suddenly, Jane is smack dab in the middle of an investigation, Alfar political games, and trying to avoid people determined to kill her! She wonders why people keep trying to kill her, and I tend to agree with her that it’s not fun. Ever since she discovered that she is a Halfling, Jane’s life has been anything but dull!

We see a little more of Jane’s succubus friend Iris, her bookstore friends Grizzie and Tracy, the barghest Anyan, and also meet Ryu’s team of deputies. I especially liked Julian, another Halfling, and Caleb, a satyr. Nicole is great with fleshing out secondary characters and making them well-rounded after only a brief description. Love these guys!

Jane still has her great sense of humor, and I love some of the comments she makes when I would probably be shaking in my boots. Of course, she’s shaking in her boots while making those snarky comments, but I’d be frozen in fear as well, so she’s way braver than me! She’s also something of a gourmet, as there was a strange pause when we have sort of a weird cooking segment with Anyan. I’m thinking that Nicole was hungry when she wrote this scene, as she describes what they’re cooking in so much detail that I could probably replicate the meal in my kitchen! Was a strange little scene that didn’t seem to fit, and stuck in my head for some reason.

Gave this book a 5/5 as I finished it in one sitting! Couldn’t put it down, and I couldn’t wait to see what happened next! Jane is still a run-away-and-hide type of girl, but is becoming more confident and growing as a person. While aware of her physical limitations, she’s smart and figures out a few things that Ryu and his experienced team missed. Go Jane! Loved this book, and highly recommend it as a fast, fun fantasy read!

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't heard of this series but it is definitely on my list now! Stop by my blog anytime! http://www.randomchalktalk.com

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the Saturday Network. :)

    Just dropping by to say, Hi!


    -Len-
    Musings of a Reader Happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a 5 out of 5! Gotta get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this a fun series? I don't even know if I can wait until January for the next book. I feel like that's forever!!

    And I love the covers. The covers are SO MUCH FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie - This has become one of my favorite series, as I really like Jane! Thanks for stopping by!

    Maidenveil - Nice to meet you!

    LM Preston - If you do decide to pick them up, would love to hear what you think!

    cat - January is going to take forever to get here! Thinking we need to start bugging Nicole for some sneak peaks to tide us over! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D So glad you loved this book! I thought Tempest Rising was good, but this one was great. I can't wait for the third one to come out. :) Just way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa - So glad that Nicole didn't disappoint, as Jane is just as cool as ever! And the teaser from book 3 makes it sound like she's really going to come into her own! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have said this before but I really like that this series is identifiable from the coverart....it makes it easy to pick out on the shelf without even seeing the title/author. Sounds like this one made an impression on you! Love it when a book does that....happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. GMR - I really like that the covers are so unique, just like Jane! The cover for book 3 looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u