Review: Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, July 2, 2010

Review: Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

Source:  Public Library

Rating:  4/5

New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong has bewitched audiences with her Otherworld series of supernatural thrillers. Now, in this new collection of shorter fiction, some of Armstrong’s most tantalizing lead characters appear alongside her unforgettable supporting players, who step out of the shadows and into the light.

Now devotees of the Otherworld can share these special moments with some of their favorite characters - as well as discovering deeper insights into the lives of some of the lesser-known players. But even readers new to the Otherworld universe will find much to love in these seven tales of friendship, adventure, and enduring romance. For when the superhuman men and women of the Otherworld set their minds to a task, they do so with fierce passion and an undivided sense of purpose that make them, in the end, very much human.


My Thoughts:
Adored this book! This book was right up my alley as I love Kelley Armstrong, have really enjoyed all of her previous books, and am a big fan of short story collections. It's a win-win!

Several of my favorite characters make appearances, and it's nice to learn more of their history. Enjoyed all eight of the stories included (not sure why the blurb says there are seven), but my favorite two are Bewitched and Beginnings.

Bewitched gives us the story on how Eve Levine and Kristof Nast met and fell in love. It was nice to see a younger Eve who's not as confident and self-assured as we're used to, and the story gave a believable explanation for how these two total opposites came together.

Beginnings is similar to Bewitched in that we get the story of how two lovers met and fell in love, only this time it's Elena and Clay. I think that this is the longest story in the book, and it totally rocks! Elena and Clay are one of my favorite couples, and Kelley does a great job of walking us through their initial meeting and eventual courtship.

The book also includes stories featuring the vampires Aaron and Cassandra, werewolves Logan and Jeremy, Lucas Cortez and Paige Winterbourne, and Savannah Levine Nast. Not a single boring story in the whole bunch!

Gave this book a 4/5 rating as Kelley did a fantastic job! The characters are old friends, the writing is great, and the stories are all enjoyable! Even better, all proceeds from the sale of this book go to World Literacy of Canada! So the reader gets a great collection of short stories, we learn more about awesome characters, and Kelley gets to support a worthy cause. It's a win-win all around!


7 comments:

  1. I haven't read Kelly Armstrong but have always thought this was a pretty cool cover. Sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the Otherworld series and will be having to get this one as well. I still need to read Men of the Otherworld too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila - I love Kelley! She's urban fantasy, so not sure if you would like her, but she's one of my favorites!

    Ryan - You definitely need to read Men of the Otherworld as well! I love the Otherworld Kelley has created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me sold! Will put this one on my TBR list and FYI this list gets longer every time I come back to your blog... My husband is going to ban me from this site since he thinks my spending is off the wire for books.

    So much for my book ban...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am now wanting to read this series. I just finished with Waking the Witch (the review should be up in a few days) and really loved the characters and writing style. I am going to go back and start at the beginning of the series to get to know all the characters. :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your posts and I find more and more books I want to read. :) This one sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aisle B - My book ban went out the window a loooong time ago! *L*

    Melissa - I think you'll really like it, so glad you're going back to the beginning!

    Pam - Thanks! Would love to hear what you think of it if you do decide to pick up a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u