Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Review: Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber

Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber

Source :  Public Library

Rating:  4/5

On the anniversary of his beloved wife's death, Dr. Michael Everett receives a letter Hannah had written him. In it she reminds him of her love and makes one final request. An impossible request: I want you to marry again. She tells him he shouldn't spend the years he has left grieving her. And to that end she's chosen three women she asks him to consider. First on Hannah's list is Winter Adams, a trained chef who owns a cafe on Seattle's Blossom Street. The second is Leanne Lancaster, Hannah's oncology nurse. Michael knows them both. But the third name is one he's not familiar with - Macy Roth. Each of these three women has her own heartache, her own private grief. During the months that follow, he spends time with Winter, Leanne and Macy, learning more about each of them...and about himself. [book blurb]


My Thoughts:
Debbie Macomber is one of those authors I can rely on when I'm craving a nice story with a happy ending. I love her Blossom Street and Cedar Cover series, as well as her stand-alone books. In fact, I've never read a Debbie Macomber book that I didn't enjoy!

This story reminded me a little of P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern, in that a dying spouse wrote letters to be delivered after their death. While Ahern's hero wrote monthly letters to his wife and Hannah only wrote one, they both wanted their beloved spouse to get on with their lives and find happiness and love again. That's incredibly loving and unselfish, and both stories brought tears to my eyes.

Hannah's letter urges her husband to find love again, and marry & start the family they always dreamed of. Hannah goes so far as to suggest three possible matches for her husband, which he finds a little overwhelming. But he does meet the three women in order to fulfill Hannah's last request.

I liked all three women, and while I was a little surprised at the ending, it did make sense. I gave this book a 4/5 rating as I really enjoyed it! Debbie is very talented, and I love her stories! Some of the characters from her Blossom Street series make cameos, and it's nice to get brief glimpses of other characters we've come to know and love.

If you enjoy simple, uncomplicated, light romances, then this book is for you! While it is sad in parts, it's joyful as well. These characters seem like real people and their life isn't always smooth, but they persevere. It's a fast, enjoyable read with a lovely ending. If you've already read it, I'd love to know what you thought!

7 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this one. I love the idea of the letters and I loved P.S. I Love You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to read of your internet problems. Looking on the bright side, you may get more reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great beach read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read one of her books, and haven't done so in awhile. I think Twenty Wishes was my last one.

    This sounds like just the prescription for what ails me this summer! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph - I loved PS I Love You too, and the premise was similar! I think you'll like this one.

    Petty Witter - That's exactly what happened! Couldn't get online, so was able to read several books. Every cloud has a silver lining, right? :)

    Marie - Would be great for the beach!

    Laurel - I don't think I've ever read one of Debbie's books that I didn't enjoy, so hope you like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love all of Debbie's books. Can't wait for the next book in her Cedar Cover series to come out in September. In the meantime I have been filling my time with other great books... in fact just this past week I had the opportunity to preview a great book that isn't scheduled to come out until October 15th titled, "Mary's Son: A Tale of Christmas" by Darryl Nyznyk. Mary’s Son is a wonderful modern-day story that reminded me that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Debbie! A really great author!

    http://bookablereads.blogspot.com/2010/09/evergreen-is-place-to-be.html

    ReplyDelete