Review: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, August 9, 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Source: ARC provided by the publisher, via Shelf Awareness

Rating:  4/5

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: Razorbill (August 10, 2010)

Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves, before all is lost and the cycle begins again. (book synopsis)

My Thoughts:

Have to admit that I've always been slightly fascinated by the thought of reincarnation. And the idea that you can be reunited with your soul mate lifetime after lifetime is terribly intriguing!

Haven Moore's life has not been easy. Her father was killed when she was a young girl, forcing her and her mother to move in with her strict grandmother. Haven had visions of a past life growing up, and her grandmother is still convinced that she is possessed and that her soul needs saving. Needless to say, Grandmother is not a nice woman. If it wasn't for her best friend Beau, Haven's life would have been even more miserable. Things come to a head and Haven runs away to New York, where fate takes a hand and she meets the boy she's convinced was her great love in a previous life. But can she trust him in this life?

Really enjoyed this book! And I loved the glimpses of Haven's previous life as Constance that are sprinkled throughout the story. It's reads almost like two stories; Haven's adventures in the present, and Constance's life in the past. Both are well told with interesting characters and a great plot line!

Have to admit that I wasn't entirely in love with the ending. While I totally bought into Haven and Iain being reincarnated soul mates, I wasn't sure what to make of the Ouroboros Society or Adam Rosier. Sounds a little funny to say that those elements didn't ring true for me when the book is about reincarnation, but they seemed off. I still enjoyed this book though, and think that Kirsten is a gifted writer with a good imagination!

Gave this one a 4/5 as I really enjoyed the story. I kept forgetting that Haven was a teenager, but maybe that's because she's been reincarnated, so doesn't act like your typical teen? What does a typical teen act like anyway? I liked Haven and Beau, wasn't sure what to think of Iain, hated Grandmother, was disappointed with Haven's weak mother, and creeped out by their preacher. Grandmother wanted Dr.Tidmore, their preacher, to counsel Haven and save her soul. The guy was a little on the creepy side, and I wasn't too surprised when he showed his true colors later on.

I wonder what the requirements are for being reincarnated? Maybe if you're really good in this life, you get to spend your next life as a pampered cat? ;)



6 comments:

  1. I'm in two minds about this one - on the one hand, like you, I'm intrigued by the thought of reincarnation and yet, on the other hand, I have heard that this book can be fairly difficult to follow as it jumps around a lot. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Reincarnation....a toughy topic for some, but in literature it can become a free for all. Successfully pulling it off though is the hard part. Sounds like this author did a fairly good job of it, even though an element or two didn't quite ring true. Perfect day for posting this review too it being the book's birthday and all. ^_^

    One more thing...your intro totally reminded me of Ann Brashares "MY NAME IS MEMORY". If you haven't read it, I think you might like it (there's a review on my site, if you'd like a peek). ^_^ If the problem that Petty Witter mentioned exists, it's cured in this book recommendation.
    Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a book with a similar theme recently and just couldn't get into it. The woman was old and then she suddenly became young again when her lover returned (he'd been around 2000 years and wasn't even a vampire.)

    I must agree my family is very rude. I think the nap was important! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must get this book! It sounds so good.I just know this will be a great read for me I love this sort of story, :) Thanks for the great review !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to read this one. Maybe after August is over I will check it out from the library! :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've known some people in my life who swear by reincarnation. I don't know how I feel. i would like to be a pampered cat NOW, ha!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u