In My Mailbox (47) | Alexia's Books and Such: In My Mailbox (47)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, July 25, 2010

In My Mailbox (47)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. No library books, contest wins, or bought books this week, but I did get a few for review! I've included links to Goodreads should you want more information on the books.

For Review:
Received an ARC of Gerry Tales by Gerry Boylan from Phenix & Phenix Literary Publicists. It looks like a fun, fast read, perfect for a hot summer afternoon!

In this collection of personal essays, Gerry Boylan recounts a lifetime of adventures and misadventures. His stories are sweet, loopy, and hilarious, ranging from hitchhiking experiences gone awry to the birth of his first child (sans painkillers or doctors, but with pinochle-playing buddies and malted milkshakes).


Phenix & Phenix Literary Publicists also sent me an ARC of Getting There by Gerry Boylan. The blurb on this one caught my attention, and I think it will be another good summer read!

In 1973, after a shocking event turned his life upside down, Luke spent his youth hitchhiking along I-75 between Florida and Michigan, meeting an extraordinary cast of characters, surviving the dangers and tragedies of the road, and falling in love. Fast-forward thirty years: Luke now struggles to reconcile the boy he was with the middle-aged father he's become. And he wonders whether it's wise to trust the young hitchhiker he's picked up on his latest road trip.


Received an ARC of The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff from the publisher, via Shelf Awareness. This one looks really good! Could be either seriously creepy or seriously cool, and I can't wait to find out which path this story takes!

Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.


I love, love, love surprises in my mailbox! And this one was a huge surprise! I've been watching people around the blogosphere drool over this book and with every rave review, I moved it up a little further in my TBR stack. Then the lovely publishers decide to send me an ARC! Of Nightshade by Andrea Cremer! Without me promising a first born child or anything! Woot! The book gods have definitely smiled upon me, because I was pondering what awesome book I should offer in my next contest, then this arrives in my mailbox! Lucky me! Lucky you! Now, what type of giveaway should I offer? *ponders* 


Looking forward to seeing what everyone received this week!




12 comments:

  1. I loooooooved The Replacement! It was so creepy it gave me nightmares. The author wrote beautifully and really created a character you could get behind and feel for.

    I hope you enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting There does look great. And I really can't wait to read The Replacement! Hope you enjoy!

    FYI, I'm hosting my first giveaway. Check it out if you have a chance:
    The The New Me Giveaway!

    Happy Reading,
    The Unread Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books! Both The Replacement and Nightshade are really high up on my wishlist. My mailboxes are at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both The Replacement and Getting There sound like great reads. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read Nightshade! Gerry Tales sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read The Replacement and Nightshade! Very interested to see what you think of them!!

    Tara SG - 25 Hour Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books this week, I'm really jealous of The Replacement...looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny, I keep thinking the Replacement is going to be so creepy by the look of the cover, but the synopsis just makes it sound like a good story but not scary at all! I guess we'll all find out soon enough!! Nightshade looks good, I have a copy in my tbr pile, need to get over my werewolf burn-out first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just looking at the cover I'd have to say The Replacement looks seriously creepy - I can't wait to find out what you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nightshade does sound like a great read. :) I hope you have a great week and enjoy all your books. :) Always some great collections here.

    If you would like to stop by to read my Monday's Beginnings, please feel free...
    http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/2010/07/mondays-beginnings-48.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice mailbox! Among your bookish treasures, can't help but stop at THE REPLACEMENT and NIGHTSHADE. Book surprises are the best! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u