Sunday, July 11, 2010

In My Mailbox (46)


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. I have included links to Goodreads should you want more information on the books. As I haven't had internet access for the past week, this is actually two weeks of mailboxes in one. Don't think I've ever had so many books all at once, and I'm still giddy with happiness! Am convinced that the book gods smiled on me because I was internet-deprived! :D

For Review:

I received an ARC of Cresendo by Becca Fitzpatrick from the publisher for review. I'm really excited about this one because it's the sequel to hush, hush. Can't wait to read this one!

Nora should have know her life was far from perfect. Despite starting a relationship with her guardian angel, Patch (who, title aside, can be described anything but angelic), and surviving an attempt on her life, things are not looking up.





Received a review copy of Too Rich & Too Thin: Not an Autobiography by Barbara DeShong from the lovely folks at Phenix & Phenix publicists. I don't usually read mysteries, but it's supposed to be funny and in the same vein as Janet Evanovitch's books, so thought I would give it a try.

Pack your bags for Texas and prepare to meet the strangest family since that little Chainsaw Massacre incident. Psychologist Jessica LeFave will be your guide, but be forewarned, Dr. LeFave isn t your average shrink, and though her wisecracking lawyer buddy will try to keep Jessica out of trouble, he might not be able to save you, or himself.



Received a review copy of Greek:  Double Date by Marsha Warner from the wonderful Meryl L. Moss Media Relations folks! Sorry to say that I've never watched the show that it's based on, but it looks like a fun read. Will be having a giveaway down the road as well, so keep an eye out!

Two dates - same night! What to do? With a little help from BFF Ashleigh, unwanted advice from frenemy Rebecca Logan and even a push from Cappie, what Casey does may surprise even herself….




My review copy of Dante's Journey by JC Marino came courtesy of the author. I've always been intrigued by Dante's tale, so this one sounded interesting. I'll be hosting a giveaway for this book as well, so keep your eye peeled!

A flash of light and Detective Joe Dante steps through. No longer on the cobblestone streets of 1961 Boston, Joe finds himself in a horrifying new world - Hell itself. Joe was in hot pursuit of his family's killer, drug lord Filippo Argenti, when both were killed, and isn't about to let a little thing like death slow him down.



Received a review copy of Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter from Planned Television Arts Reviewer Rewards. This is book 4 in the series, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick things up as it sounds like such a fun read!

When Cammie Morgan enrolled at the Gallagher Academy, she knew she was preparing for the dangerous life of a spy. What she didn’t know was that the serious, real-life danger would start during her junior year of high school. But that’s exactly what happened two months ago when she faced off against an ancient terrorist organization dead set on kidnapping her. Now the danger follows her everywhere, and even Cammie “The Chameleon” can’t hide.


Noah's Castle by John Rowe Townsend was first published back in 1975 and was an out of print title. The story is supposed to be just as relevent today as it was back in the 70's, so has been reissued by October Mist Publishing. They were kind enough to send me a review copy, and I'm looking forward to reading this timeless tale!

What if money became worthless? The coming winter was going to be a hard one and not because of the weather. As England descends into economic chaos, sixteen-year-old Barry Mortimer's life turns upside down when his father moves the family from their cozy home in the city to a grim, brick mansion on the outskirts of town. Why isn't anyone allowed to visit the Mortimers' new home? What is Father doing in the cellar, and why is he keeping it a secret?


Contest Wins:

Won a copy of And Falling, Fly by Skyler White from Tara at 25 Hour Books! She let me pick the book of my choice from the Book Depository, and that's a lot harder than you'd think! Have heard mixed reviews on this one, but the synopsis sounds too good to miss out on. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

In a dark and seedy underground of burned-out rock stars and angels- turned-vampires, a revolutionary neuroscientist and a fallen angel must pit medicine against mythology in an attempt to erase their tortured pasts...but at what cost?



Purchased:

Finally received the copy of Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler that I had preordered back at the beginning of time! Okay, not really, but that's what it felt like as I was so impatient to get my hands on a copy. And it was so worth the wait, as I sat down and devoured the book in one sitting! I've even posted my review already, so please check it out here and let me know what you think.

Book two in the Jane True series. 'Nuff said.



I'm blaming the arrival of the following books at my doorstep on Natalie from Mindful Musings, since she's the one who first posted about the huge clearance sale at Barnes & Noble. All but one of these books was $1.99. How am I supposed to resist that????

Dead Sexy by Tate Hallaway
The Earth, My Butt, and other BIG Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
Blood Memories by Barb Hendee
A Kiss Before the Apolcalypse by Thomas E Sniegoski
Suck It Up by Brian Meehl
The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez
Looking for Alaska by John Green


Like I said, a very good week for me! Really need to implement a book ban of some kind so I can catch up on my reading, but there are so many books out there that I can't resist! Looking forward to seeing what everyone received this week, and hope the book gods were good to you too! :)



12 comments:

  1. Great mailbox! I will have to dig the book by Peeler out of my TBR stack. I did get it right away but it was covered over by other books I got too. Too Rich & Too Thin does sound good. I'll be eager to hear what you think. Here is my YA mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Cresendo! How exciting! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books this week! I am drooling over Crescendo!! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could resist books at 1.99 either! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really interested to see what you think of And Falling, Fly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be interested to know your thoughts on Barbara DeShong's book - I haven't found anything so far that could live up to Janet Evanovich's writing.
    Ann
    Cozy In Texas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a variety! Looks like you have some great reading ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I received Noahs Castle too and I am really excited to see what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crescendo sounds so good. I can't wait to see what you think of it. I have Dante's Journey to read and I'm excited for it. I will have my review for Noah's Castle up sometime this week or next at the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great week! I got Crescendo today- I am so excited! You have some sweet reading in your future! Here is what I got.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Books here!Some people are going to be so jealous of you getting an Arc of Crescendo. :) Awesome! And cool to see you got Dante's Journey. I hope you enjoyed it. :) and Falling, Fly was an interesting read too. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely mailbox...simply lovely! ^_^ You got an ARC of CRESCENDO?!?! Congrats! I just got mine last night! ~happy dance~ Guilty of reading the prologue already....even though it was WAY late. Hehe... Several other great looking reads in there...and I totally understand about the can't-miss-a-great-deal books. That's how my shopping bag ends up so full sometimes. Happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete