Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Star Wars: A Scanimation Book by Rufus Butler Seder

Star War: A Scanimation Book
Review copy provided by the publisher at BEA10

Imagine: the first Star Wars book that actually moves, bringing to life the most memorable scenes from the epic: Obi-Wan battles Darth Maul The Millennium Falcon zooms away from an exploding Death Star Luke rides a galloping Tauntaun, Yoda twirls his green lightsaber, Boba Fett blasts up, up and away! And of course the most memorable scene of all—red and blue lightsabers flashing, Luke and Darth Vader fight the ultimate battle between good and evil.

It’s a marriage made in a galaxy far, far away: phenomenal Scanimation meets Star Wars, the enduring epic that’s sold $42 billion in ticket sales and earned the title #1 Boys Action Toy License of all time. Created by Rufus Butler Seder, Star Wars: A Scanimation Book presents 12 of the most memorable scenes, in a landscape, i.e., movie format. It’s an homage from an artist obsessed with the earliest forms of capturing visual motion to an artist obsessed with the most advanced. But that’s not what young fans will care about - this is having pure movie magic in the palm of your hand, to replay again and again.  (product description)

My Thoughts:
This book is amazing! I'm not exactly sure what words popped out of my mouth when I first opened this book (something along the lines of No way! or You've gotta be kidding me!), but they made the publisher rep next to me laugh. I was expecting just another Star Wars picture book, but this book is so much cooler! The pictures actually move! Not the 3D pictures you've seen before, but a new technology called scanimation. Check out what it looks like here.

The pub rep explained to me how they found Seder at a gift show, where he was selling his line of greeting cards. This is not his first scanimation title but in my opinion, it's the coolest! Think I really amused the rep with all of my gushing over the book, but this is a must have for any sci fi/fantasy fan! Even my husband, who isn't a Star Wars fan, played with this book for awhile. I'm not sure how it works, something to do with turning the pages, but it's amazing! I dare you to not be enthralled with this book the minute you open it's pages!

Can you tell how much I'm in love with this book? I think it's my best find at BEA, as it's original and unique, and did I mention the coolness factor? *L*


Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 13 pages
Publisher: Workman Publishing Company (May 12, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0761158464
ISBN-13: 978-0761158462

Order it from Amazon or Barnes and Noble

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a Star Wars Fan (I know, shame on me) but this does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam - My DH is not a Star Wars fan either, but he loved this book! Am definitely going to pick up his other books, as they're so unique. May even buy some of his greeting cards! :)

    ReplyDelete