Saturday, June 12, 2010

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Source: eARC received from publisher, via NetGalley

Rating:  4/5

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

My Thoughts:
The Iron Daughter is a good follow-up to The Iron King, yet didn't resonate as much with me for whatever reason. It may have been because I had such high expectations for the book, as I really loved the first one. While it was still good and I enjoyed it, I didn't love it quite so much.

Meghan Chase is a reluctant guest of the Winter Court, fulfilling the bargain she made with Ash. She may have assumed that Ash would keep her company, but he disappeared soon after they arrived in court and Meghan was left to fend for herself. The Winter Court is a tough place for any outsider to survive, much less the half-human daughter of the Summer King! Surprisingly enough, Meghan does better than expected.

Then the Iron Fey attack. Mab, the Queen of Winter, blames Oberon and declares war on the Summer Court. Why won't anyone believe that the Iron Fey exist and that they are the real culprits? Who is leading the Iron Fey now, as Meghan and Ash defeated the original king in the first book. What are their plans, and why was Meghan spared during the attack? Lots of questions, and Meghan sets off to find out the answers. Of course, nothing goes as planned or is easy.

While I enjoyed Meghan's adventures and how she handled herself during difficult situations, I kept forgetting that she was still a teenager, as she didn't act like your typical high schooler. This was a little distracting at times, and I sometimes wondered what Ash and Puck saw in her. After all, the fey live a long, long time, so wouldn't Ash and Puck be quite a bit older than Meghan? Maybe age doesn't matter and it's a maturity issue? However, I thought that this love triangle worked better and was more believable than the Bella-Edward-Jacob triangle in Twilight.

Gave this a 4/5 rating because it was still a great read with wonderful characters. Julie is a talented writer with a great imagination, and I'm already looking forward to the next book! If you love fantasy and the fey, I think that you will really enjoy this series!


Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Harlequin; Original edition (August 1, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0373210132
ISBN-13: 978-0373210138

17 comments:

  1. Great review, thanks! Hm, it's interesting that you say Meghan doesn't act like a teenager, though I agree she comes across as a really mature one in Winter's Passage and towards the end of The Iron King. Definitely looking forward to reading this one though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I am really looking forward to this book, it's going to be interesting to see how the love triangle turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn - I kept forgetting that Meghan was still a teenager, as she seems so mature at times! Really looking forward to seeing where Julie takes this series!

    Maria - I can see the appeal of Ash, but I'm definitely Team Puck as I love a man who can make me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I still really, really need to read the first book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I know what you mean about not feeling a a great book, even if it well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great review, alexia! i feel like this series is flying by without me, and it sounds so good! i need to start reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelsey - Hope you get a chance to read it, as it's awesome!

    Dazzling Mage - I still enjoyed it, but it just didn't grab me like the first one for some reason.

    Carrie - You really need to read The Iron King! Think you would really like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds intriguing. I don't read a lot of YA but I have a couple and keep meaning to read more. I need to expand my horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really great review, Alexia! I've been curious about these books for a while now. You've convinced me to add them to my wish list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great review. I think my daughter would like this one. I'll recommend it to her so she can ignore my advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty cover. Thanks for a very honest review. Its awful when a sequel does not compare with the original.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a series I might like, as I like books about faeries. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amused - Think this series would be a good choice for expanding your horizons! :)

    Shannon - Great! Hope you like them as much as I do!

    Pam - She may surprise you and read it anyway! *L*

    Petty Witter - It was still good, just didn't grab me the way the first one did. Still looking forward to the next book, as I'm dying to see how the love triangle works out!

    bookmagic - If you like fairies, then I'm pretty sure you'll like this series! Both the Seelie and Unseelie courts are featured, as well as the newer iron fey. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the first one here to read, and the Winters Passage I down loaded and have on my computer here for when I am ready to get to it. This sounds like another great read. Sorry it seemed to be missing that something for you though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep hearing good things about this series but am still not sure they are right for me. Thanks for your review as it gave a little bit different perspective on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep seeing this book at the bookstore and now you've clinched the deal... MUST BUY!

    I have to look for the this serie since it seems to be amassing mass appeal.

    Great review Alexia!

    PK Reeves
    Aisle B
    http://aisleb.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melissa - Looking forward to seeing what you think of this series! I love comparing notes, as everyone seems to come away with something different from the same book.

    Ryan - Don't know that this series would be for you, but you might be surprised!

    PK Reeves - Hope you like it, as it's definitely readable!

    ReplyDelete