Book Review: Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Book Review: Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

My name is Gin, and I kill people.

They call me the Spider. I'm the most feared assassin in the South -- when I'm not busy at the Pork Pit cooking up the best barbecue in Ashland. As a Stone elemental, I can hear everything from the whispers of the gravel beneath my feet to the vibrations of the soaring Appalachian Mountains above me. My Ice magic also comes in handy for making the occasional knife. But I don't use my powers on the job unless I absolutely have to. Call it professional pride.

Now that a ruthless Air elemental has double-crossed me and killed my handler, I'm out for revenge. And I'll exterminate anyone who gets in my way -- good or bad. I may look hot, but I'm still one of the bad guys. Which is why I'm in trouble, since irresistibly rugged Detective Donovan Caine has agreed to help me. The last thing this cold-hearted killer needs when I'm battling a magic more powerful than my own is a sexy distraction...especially when Donovan wants me dead just as much as the enemy.

Rating:  4/5
Source:  Library

My Review:
I've read and enjoyed Jennifer's Bigtime series, but if this book is any indication, her new series will be totally different. The Bigtime books were fast, fun reads. I read Spider's Bite pretty fast, but it was more a serious urban fantasy as opposed to a light and fluffy read. Both series are good, just different.

Really, really liked the character of Gin! Most assassins I've read about are cold and/or messed up somehow, but Gin seems pretty normal. Being an assassin is just a job to her, not a hobby or passion, and she's one of the best! She has certain rules that she abides by, and her own code of honor, so she doesn't seem psychotic.

Really felt for her when her handler was killed, as they were like family. You could understand her desire to discover the double-crosser in order to protect her remaining friends. And I enjoyed her growing relationship with Detective Donovan Caine. He blames her for the murder of his partner and disapproves of her in general, but neither can resist their growing attraction. The relationship wasn't mushy or have too much romantic detail, which I appreciated.

Gave this a 4/5 rating as I really liked it! Think the author has another great series on her hands, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel!


About the Author:
By night, Jennifer Estep is an author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fun, sexy fantasy idea.

Jennifer currently writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series for Pocket Books. The star of the series is Gin Blanco, an assassin who can control the elements of ice and stone when she's not too busy running her barbecue restaurant, the Pork Pit. Jennifer is also the author of the Bigtime paranormal romance books, which feature sexy superheroes, evil ubervillains, and smart, sassy gals looking for love. Titles in the Berkley series include Karma Girl (May 2007), Hot Mama (November 2007), and Jinx (September 2008).

By day, Jennifer is an award-winning features page designer for a daily newspaper with a broad range of journalism and media experience. She's also a certifiable fangirl and an authority on fantasy literature and culture. Jennifer is a member of Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, and other writing groups.

Jennifer's books have been featured in Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly, Southern Living, and a variety of other publications. For more information, visit her Web site at http://www.jenniferestep.com/.


7 comments:

  1. Ooooo, this sounds like a good one! Thanks, Alexia. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was waiting to here your thoughts on this one. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing this series around and am now thinking I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won this recently and now I'm really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I'm still not sure if I would like this book. I'm not really in an uf reading phase at the moment.
    Great review hon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting review...definitely a surprise that it didn't get to into the "mushy stuff" as from the synopsis that's pretty much what I was expecting. Extract that portion of the story and it sounds like an intriguing plot....glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this book is making its rounds again and I need to get to it. I have it on the shelf and it is calling my name. It sounds like one I will really, really love. Glad to see you enjoyed it sooo much. Now I know I will love it too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u