Book Review: Mind Games by Carolyn Crane | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Mind Games by Carolyn Crane
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Book Review: Mind Games by Carolyn Crane

JUSTINE KNOWS SHE’S GOING TO DIE. ANY SECOND NOW.

Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem. (book blurb)

Rating:  4/5
Source:  personal library

My Thoughts:
Thought that this book was one of the most original, clever stories I've come across in a long time! Loved Justine, the hypochondriac heroine. And the whole idea of a team of disillusionists was incredibly unique! To actually put together a team of people who use their fears to disillusion their targets, basically rebooting them, was very clever. I didn't exactly get how they transferred their fears into their victims, but they had it down to a science and it seemed to work. And the team was made up of ordinary humans, not the mutated 'highcaps' who have special abilities.

Justine is a hypochondriac, convinced that she's going to die any minute now from vein star syndrome. Her life is an endless round of ER visits, countless looks of pity, numerous broken relationships, and panic attack after panic attack. While she doesn't like the idea of being a vigilante, she can't resist the allure of finally being free from her fear. But little does she know that once she signs up, there's no going back. Being a disillusionist is a lifetime commitment, whether she likes it or not.

Gave this book a 4/5 rating as I thought it was well written, had great characters, an interesting premise, and had a great plot! This was the first in the series, and I'm looking forward to see what happens next! Book two, Double Cross, is due at the end of September. Can hardly wait!



8 comments:

  1. I don't usually read a lot of urban fantasy, but this one looks so unique, not to mention awesome!! Thanks for the fantastic review, I'm adding it to my to read list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Deb at Book Magic. I loved this book! Didn't you just love the surprise romance in it? I can't wait to read the second book when it comes out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so ready to get my hands on this one. I must say that this does sound like one of the more interesting premises that I've heard of in a long time. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely blog, which I found thru Shannon's shout-out (well-deserved, congrats)...and, yep, I'm a cat person! I enjoyed your review and echo what Ryan G said above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to get this book. :) I love the ideas and would love to see where the author takes them. Great review. You really helped give me a better idea of what is going on in the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like such an original read, one for my wish list to be certain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie - Think you'll like this one, as Justine was such an unique heroine!

    Buckeye Girl - Thanks for stopping by! Am really looking forward to the next book, as I want to see what happens next!

    Ryan - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

    Kittie - Thank you! Nice to 'meet' you! :)

    Melissa - This was one of the more original stories I've read, so hope you have a chance to pick it up!

    Petty Witter - Definitely one for your wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound like a great read.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u