Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review: Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Eos; 1 edition (February 23, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061138037
ISBN-13: 978-0061138034

Rating: 4/5
Source: Library




Book Blurb:
Rachel Morgan has fought and hunted vampires, werewolves, banshees, demons, and other supernatural dangers as both witch and bounty hunter - and lived to tell the tale. But she's never faced off against her own kind . . . until now. Denounced and shunned for dealing with demons and black magic, her best hope is life imprisonment - at worst, a forced lobotomy and genetic slavery. Only her enemies are strong enough to help her win her freedom, but trust comes hard when it hinges on the unscrupulous tycoon Trent Kalamack, the demon Algaliarept, and an ex-boyfriend turned thief.

It takes a witch to catch a witch, but survival bears a heavy price.

My Review:
Another great story about Rachel and the gang! Kim always manages to keep things fresh, and I've yet to get tired of Rachel's adventures! While she does tend to attract trouble, we can always count on Rachel's friends to help her out. Love Jenks, and think he's one of my favorite pixies! Ivy is pretty cool too, but I really wish she'd work on her personal problems, as she still has "issues".

There's a big shocker in this one that actually brought tears to my eyes. Don't want to give anything away as I don't like spoilers, but it really caught me off guard. While my first reaction was to hunt Kim down and make her change it, I calmed down after a bit and understood. Didn't expect it, didn't like it, but understood why Kim felt she had to write it. Does that make any sense?

Gave this a 4/5 rating as it was a fast, enjoyable read. Kim is an awesome writer, and I've loved every one of her stories! Really liked how Rachel had to face off against other witches in this one, and there were lots of nice surprises to advance the series. Can't beat a book that makes you laugh, then cry, then laugh again! If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend it!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! She's such a great author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read lots of books where I wanted to chase the author down and change the story. Now you have my curiousity arroused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first book in this series and can't wait for an excuse to curl up with it :-) I love your enthusiasm here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very popular over hear in England, I shall have to get around to reading it. Is it true they are thinking of turning the story into a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I've heard this author is quite good, though I've never read any of her books. May try one someday but for now...I enjoyed your review! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to read these books one day. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series does sound great! Like an adventure and action all together. I have not read any others... yet! Thanks for the great review! Another great series I need to get to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this series yet. I tend to avoid the vampire/werewolf stuff because I'm burned out on it, but you make me curious about this one... ;)

    ReplyDelete