Review: Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay | Alexia's Books and Such...: Review: Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review: Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay

Review: Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay
A warm summer Saturday. An amusement park. David Harwood is glad to be spending some quality time with his wife, Jan, and their four-year-old son. But what begins as a pleasant family outing turns into a nightmare after an inexplicable disappearance. A frantic search only leads to an even more shocking and harrowing turn of events.

Until this terrifying moment, David Harwood is just a small-town reporter in need of a break. His paper, the Promise Falls Standard, is struggling to survive. Then he gets a lead that just might be the answer to his prayers: a potential scandal involving a controversial development project for the outskirts of this picturesque upstate New York town. It’s a hot-button issue that will surely sell papers and help reverse the Standard’s fortunes, but strangely, David’s editors keep shooting it down.

Why?

That’s a question no longer at the top of David’s list. Now the only thing he cares about is restoring his family. Desperate for any clue, David dives into his own investigation - and into a web of lies and deceit. For with every new piece of evidence he uncovers, David finds more questions - and moves ever closer to a shattering truth.

My Review:
It's been awhile since I've read a good thriller, and this book ended the drought! Had no idea what to expect and Barclay kept me guessing! You think the plot is heading in one direction, then it suddenly goes down a path you weren't expecting! Want to keep this spoiler-free, so suffice it to say that this is a really well-done thriller that won't disappoint!

Gave this a 4/5 rating as the plot was well paced, had just enough action, the writing was great, and the characters were believable. The ending took me by surprise, and while one of the plot twists was a little too convenient, it was still satisfying. Enjoyed it enough that I'm now going to go back and read his other books. Love finding new-to-me authors!


I received this ARC as part of LibraryThings Early Reviewer program.



10 comments:

  1. I felt the same after reading No Time for Goodbye, he made me want to read his others.

    Great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read No Time for Goodbye as well and loved it. He has a way of terrifying the heck out of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds so fantastic! I am totally in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I really like the cover of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like great read - you've sold me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good thriller that will keep you guessing. As long as once you know why, you can slap yourself on the head and say "Now why didn't I see that?". I just don't like those that have a WTF ending that was in no way foreseeable or hinted at. Off to add this one to my wishlist.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. Glad you enjoyed this read so much. I think I will pass though. I like going to the amusment parks and not worrying if the rides are going to fall apart. :) Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so having to go get this one, even if you hand't liked it. The cover alone would have hooked me in. Since I traveled with a carnival for a while as a kid, I could tell Melissa how those rides are held together, of course she may not want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :D Ryan please don't. :D I would never enjoy the rides again. My favorite are the roller coasters, though. I am starting to have a harder time with the rides as it is with getting older. That going in circles is for the birds. :) Do you go to amusement parks still Ryan? Knowing what you know? Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love Barclay's books! As you said, he makes you think you're going one way and then changes at the last second! Would recommend No Time For Goodbye. Its brilliant! I wrote about his books in a post that I did about my top 5 thrillers. I couldn't pick just one. You should check it out if you like the genre!
    Jess
    http://readbyjess.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/top-5-thrillers-that-keep-you-guessing.html

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u