Review: Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin | Alexia's Books and Such: Review: Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Review: Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Review: Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle with cousins she never knew she had. As she fights for her life, she draws ever closer to the secrets of her mother's death and her family's bloody history.

With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Yeine will learn how perilous it can be when love and hate - and gods and mortals - are bound inseparably together.


My Review:
After all this time, you would think that I would have learned by now not to judge a book by it's cover. All the years I've been reading, I really should know better. But no, I'm embarrassed to admit that I judged this one by it's cover and blurb, then assumed it wasn't for me. I was mistaken. *hangs head in shame*

This was a recommendation on Barnes and Noble's book club blog and since I've enjoyed every other book they've recommended, thought I'd give this one a try and requested it from my library. Once I picked it up, I found myself going all judgemental on it. Thought it would be one of those epic fantasy tales that I don't like, so put it to the side. As the due date fast approached, finally picked it up and was quickly hooked! I will never doubt BN's recommendations ever again!

The main character, Yeine, quickly won me over. She's the main narrator and tells the story the same way I would, in bits and pieces. She'll start to relate something, then stop and say no, no, first I have to tell you about this! Just like a regular conversation between friends, because who remembers everything perfectly when telling a story? I loved that!

While there are gods and magic and a royal family and plots galore, it wasn't anything like the stereotypical epic fantasy I expected. Loved this story, and especially enjoyed Yeine. Despite being looked down upon by her royal relatives as a barbarian, Yeine is not stupid. She has to navigate her way around a dangerous new situation and figure out why she has been named heir. She knows that she's a pawn, but needs to discover why. I thought she handled herself well, and did much better than I probably would have!

Gave this a 4/5 rating as I really enjoyed the story. Loved the characters, thought it was well written, and especially loved Yeine's voice! Looking forward to reading The Broken Kingdoms, the sequel due out this fall. Don't make the same mistake I did, or you'll miss out on a great story!



7 comments:

  1. The cover is lovely~ Lol, honestly I would have been disheartened if the book sucks, but I'm glad you liked it! Putting it on my list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, because I love this cover! Great review, Alexia. I'll have to check this one out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll recommend this one to my daughter. She loves fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D LOL!! You should know better than to doubt Paul. Paul is the man! lol. I am so glad you loved this book. I really enjoyed it myself. I was worried for a moment at the start of the review here, in that you didn't like it. But I am so glad you got into this book and loved it like the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard nothing but good things about this book. I'm going to have to give it a try since Paul recommended it, Melissa loved it, and now you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, I hope you get this and enjoy it. Paul usually is very good on his picks, I do have to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, I will never doubt Paul again! I'm afraid to go back to his board, as I know he'll have my wishlist overflowing! *L*

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u