Saturday, April 17, 2010

Book Review: Blood Ties by Kay Hooper

Book Review: Blood Ties by Kay Hooper
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Bantam (January 26, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0553804863
ISBN-13: 978-0553804867

Rating:  4/5
Source:  Library

From Publishers Weekly:
Too many interchangeable doll-like victims and a by-the-numbers plot mar bestseller Hooper's conclusion to her paranormal thriller trilogy that began with Blood Dreams and Blood Sins. When a serial killer tortures, dismembers, and dumps eight women in eight weeks in Tennessee and adjacent states, Noah Bishop, head of the FBI's Special Crimes Unit, gets on the case, along with Noah's touch-telepath and seer wife, Miranda, and special agent Hollis Templeton, a profiler-in-training and medium who can self-heal and see auras. Hollis and special investigator Diana Brisco, also a medium and healer, travel to the gray time, a corridor between life and death where a young spirit, Brooke, helps them connect the killings to a past threat. Series fans and newcomers alike will appreciate the appendixes, which include bios of Special Crime Unit agents and definitions of their various paranormal abilities.


My Review:
I have to disagree with Publisher Weekly's assertion that the plot was a by-the-numbers disappointment. The Bishop books are one of the most reliable series around, and I know that I'll be on the edge of my seat, trying to figure out the mystery, while staying up much too late in order to finish reading. This is the 12th book in the series, and I've never been disappointed with any of them.

In this book, the team is still dealing with the ramifications of one of their old cases, where some team members were exposed to a dark energy which seems to have caused their powers to mutate. All of the team have psychic powers of some kind, but they're trained FBI agents as well. Two of the newest members of the team, Diana and Hollis, are the featured players this time around. They are still learning to be agents, while dealing with their shifting powers. I found both aspects fascinating!

The main mystery concerns the violent serial killer the team has been tracking, whether it's one madman or a partnership, and why has the trail led to this particular small town? I was also wondering where Bishop was, as he's the leader of the team and usually plays a larger role. It's eventually explained, but I did miss his presence. And the appendix at the end of the book was a nice touch, reminding you who had what powers and such.

Gave this one a 4/5 rating as I enjoyed the story, I couldn't figure out the mystery or solve the case, the action was well paced, and there was even a touch of romance. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the books in this series! Very enjoyable!


6 comments:

  1. I didn't realize the series was still going on. I have a lot of the first "Bishop books" because I would pick them up when I used to work in a book store. I always found Kay Hooper to be a lot like Iris Johannsen only with the paranormal aspect thrown in. Except I grew increasingly disappointed in the IJ books.

    I should look into the other Kay Hooper Bishop books that I don't have. I enjoyed them. Not rocket science or anything, but they are a nice escapism for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have heard of this series. I have enjoyed several books that the critics have trashed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat - Definitely not rocket science, but a nice reliable escape! ;)

    Pam - I've never read a Kay Hooper book I didn't like, so think you would enjoy her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this series before but it does sound like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find some blogs give much better and more realistic reviews than any publisher/critic, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I soooo need to get my hands on this series! It sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete