I am going to be offline for awhile due to a bionic upgrade (aka knee replacement), but should be back shortly. Please send good vibes and happy thoughts my way! more details

Thursday, April 8, 2010

April Challenge – Spring Into A New Beginning

Sheila over at One Person's Journey Through A World of Books has come up with an interesting challenge for the month. Inspired by the book The Power of Half, she has challenged us to give up (or cut back) on one thing we really enjoy and instead take that money and put it away to give to a charity or cause of our choice at the end of the month.

I've been thinking about this and wondering how I could participate ever since I first read her post. My only real indulgence is books. I already brown bag my lunch, don't have a Starbucks habit, am not a smoker, and we don't go out to eat very often. So books it is!

So here's my challenge:  for every book that I resist purchasing this month, I'll donate the list price of the book to RIF. Reading Is Fundamental is a great organization that puts books into the hands of children who might not otherwise have access. I'll also include any books that are already in the pipeline and are received this month. As the icing on the cake, any book that comes into my house, I'll donate two books to my local library! That actually hurt a little when I wrote that....that must mean it will be a legitimate sacrifice, right? Why am I suddenly nervous..... ;)



9 comments:

  1. Ooh the meme looks really good over here with your blog coloring!

    Glad to have you on board and love what you are doing and where the money is going! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful organization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful choice, Alexia! You inspire me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great thing to do. I certainly admire you for it. I am pretty frugal but my daughter tries to make up for my savings. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea and such a wonderful thing to do especially when books are involved. I look forward to hearing how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is a wonderful idea....best of luck on resisting and donating to a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Unfortunately, I'm so far behind that it is already almost the end of April! I can't wait to hear how you feel the whole month goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, as I really appreciated it! Leave me a link and I'll swing by to say hello!

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2014 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u