To nook or not to nook - Part 2 | Alexia's Books and Such...: To nook or not to nook - Part 2

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

To nook or not to nook - Part 2

To nook or not to nook - Part 2
Back around the time the Barnes & Noble nook was first announced, I was somehow drawn into the whole nook-is-horrible-no-it's-not debate. As it hadn't even been released yet and no one had actually played with one, I couldn't understand why passions were running so high. You can read my original post here if you like.

Fast forward to the present and not only has the nook been released, but it's already had some updates as B&N works the bugs out. Nothing revolutionary about that, as I remember the Kindle having several bugs in their early design as well. And they all seem to be overshadowed now by the iPad. (Just a quick aside, does no one use focus groups to test names anymore? What is a Kindle anyway? And nook? iPad? Puh-lease! Even I couldn't resist the bathroom humor!)

Anyway.....thanks to the generosity of a very good friend, I recently had the opportunity to play with a nook. She lent me an ebook, and the nook it was on so I could try it out. What a nice friend. Waiting for her to ask for a kidney or my car or for me to paint her house in return. Or it could just be that she's just a nice person. I'm betting she needs a kidney though. (just kidding T!)

Have to say that the nook is very pretty in person. Very sleek, slick, and streamlined. Lightweight. Not as bulky as the Sony eReader. More professional looking than the Kindle. Think the nook wins hands down in the Best Looks department.

As for the reading experience itself - not bad. My borrowed nook had a cover, so it was like holding a paperback. As it was lightweight, I don't think the coverless nook would be awkward to hold either. You could turn the pages by either clicking the button on the side or swiping your finger across the small bottom screen-thingy. Swiping was fun at first, but I wound up using the button most of the time as my thumb was already there.

The book was easy to read as I could adjust the font as well as the brightness of the screen. Still needed a light to read by, but so does a paperback. The only thing I didn't care for was that I couldn't quickly flip through pages to check something. For instance, I thought that a character had left town, so I wanted to flip back to check. Only seconds with a paperback, but I had to go page by page with the nook. Small annoyance, but still.... Another annoyance was the touchscreen keypad. Hard to use if you have fingernails. Assume it would be hard to use if you had fat fingers as well, as those buttons were tiny. I wound up using the side of my pinkie finger, and my nails aren't even all that long!

What's my final verdict? I would happily use a nook if someone bought it for me and gave me gift cards for the ebooks, but otherwise? No thank you. While the nook was fun and I can see it's appeal, I don't like the whole idea of ebooks. Right now, when I'm finished with a paperback, I have multiple options available. I can put it on my shelf, donate it to the library, give it to a friend, trade it for a new book, or list it as a blog giveaway. My money has purchased a physical product that I own and can do with what I will. I can't do any of these things with an ebook. It reminds me a little of leasing a car; you have the use of the item but don't really have anything to show for it.

Do any of you have an ereader? What do you think of it? I get the convenience factor, but are there other features I didn't have time to explore? Curious what everyone thinks!


22 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. I have been debating it.. but truth be told, I love the feeling of books in my hands. I love to look at the covers and to feel the pages. I am just not sure I could dive into using an ebook reader unless I had to!

    Allison
    Well-Read Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an Ereader and your post just made it easier for me to decide I was right and books are a ton better! lol I just can't see replacing a good hand held book. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my nook. Yes its gone from lust to love. But like all true love you finally see the flaws.

    Considering that I really needed it... the problem is they have to send me a new battery. It just doesn't hold the charge. And guess what its been a month and they are out of stock. Sound familiar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought my Kindle mainly for the convenience of having a bunch of books with me when I travel without having to fill the trunk of my car with books.

    I also like the ability to hightlight and write notes on pages and to set multiple bookmarks. It makes it great when it comes time to review the book. I would never do that to a physical book because I wouldn't want to deface it. But I can delete my notes, highlighting and bookmarks when I no longer need them for my Kindle books and the book is undamaged.

    I do agree that it makes it hard to share or giveaway books but I mostly do that to free up shelf space for other books. The Kindle has already solved that problem.

    Also, I only buy Kindle books for less than half of my book buying. I don't think I will ever eliminate paper books altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'll get an ereader because I have bad eyesight. I think it would give me headaches. Good review though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually find that my ereader, I have a Sony Pocket reader, is easier on my eyes. I can magnify the page so it's like reading large print which I think is easier than squinting at small print. I'm only 22, but sometimes when I read too much my eyes feel sore, they don't get sore after reading on the ereader.

    Also, for those who blog an ereader is especially benefical because you can review books via Netgalley which has some especially great titles.

    I don't plan on getting rid of my books, but I do think my reader can peacefully co-exist with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Sony Reader, which I love! I bought it second hand from Jeff at Fantasy Book News & Reviews, so it didn't cost me an arm and leg. It great for all the free ebooks authors give away but I've also bought a few too. I also inherited my husband's iPod Touch, which I get the free books from Amazon.com to read.

    Reading on either is good with me and sometimes I find I feel like reading on them instead of a real book. Weird to, since I was so against ereaders for the longest time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Standing Ovation here! I too considered the Nook - strictly for traveling purposes... but like you - I am still not sold.

    I have not even used one yet.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post Alexia. I got a Sony ereader for Christmas and I love it but I'm still a paper girl and probably always will be. It's almost like I don't really believe I own the book unless I can see it on the shelf. And how can I add to my autograph collection with ebooks, LOL. Seriously though, I love the ereader for travel and for books I want to get for cheap and not feel attached to- experiments, nonfiction and that sort of thing. And I'm hoping that publishers do more with egalleys as I think that's a great way to try out a book. So yeah, not a replacement for paper books for me- more like a supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I have gone back and forth on the nook/kindle/ereader and really don't want to spend the money on it for one. But I like to flip back to different points in the book to look something up or reread. And I use lots of postits. I don't think I would like an ereader, because of these reasons. Thank you! That and I LOVE seeing the books on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! E-readers aren't that popular here, but I'd still prefer paperbacks to screens. I agree that it's good for traveling, but still wouldn't get one.

    Thank you for posting your experiences (and LOL on the bathroom jokes! XD).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you posted this. Yours is the best review I've read, because you gave actual "reading" details. I don't have one and am still on the fence about whether I want one. Thanks for your comments, Alexia! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think April may be right and ereaders can peacefully co-exist with physical books as sort of a supplement. While they would be great for travel, I still prefer holding the book in my hand and then putting it on my shelf.

    Think I'll always prefer paper to electronics, but can't wait to see what the next innovaation will be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Alexia, I followed you over from the blog hop!

    I love my nook! Granted I can't compare it to the other e-readers. The only thing I can compare it to is the iPhone app Kindle. I liked how fast the pages turned on that, but once I got used to the speed I was fine.. I sort of got into the rhythm of when to turn the page.

    While I LOVE the nook, I also don't use it exclusively. I like having regular books too. But I traveled recently and the nook was so nice to use on the plane or if I only had one hand free (while holding a drink, etc.) and I took it with me wherever I had to go to wait places and it was so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't have a reader. I'm so addicted to collecting books that I would be a little sad not having an excuse to buy more! I wouldn't mind having one for trips (so I wouldn't have to pack 30 books) but otherwise I'm okay. Oh, and maybe some of those romances that I occasionally read an am embarrassed of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently posted something like this, but for a Kindle (which I decided to go ahead and get). I love the look of the Nook, but it didn't have the eBook store to compete with Amazon (at least not yet). I haven't had my eReader long enough to really say how much I love it.

    Also, here's a passage on why it's called a "Kindle". I thought it was kinda of interesting.

    -- Kindle means to set alight or start to burn, to arouse or be aroused, to make or become bright. The word's roots are from the Old Norse word kyndill, meaning Candle. "I verified that it had deep roots in literature," adds Hibma. "From Voltaire: 'The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others and it becomes the property of all.'" No other name could hold a candle to Kindle.--

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had a Kindle for over a year now and love it. I still read regular paper books too but I love being able to read a book on Kindle, or my iphone or now my Macbook. It's just nice to have the options. It was a gift from my husband and he may regret it because it's just so easy to buy a book :-) I do still buy regular books and I don't try to talk anyone out of reading paper books or other ereaders. It's a personal preference, like many things.
    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess the instant satisfaction is one bonus but the practicality seem ughhh. You have short nails but still needed to use the side of your pinky! Must have been invested by a man LOL. I do like that the buttons are positioned where you hold your thumbs, I was thinking this :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's awesome that your friend was generous to lend you their Nook! I'm a gadget-lover so I would to receive an eReader as a gift. I'm hoping to get one for my bday :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE my nook. I was one of those that was NEVER going to get an e-reader but I've had it a little over a month now and I've already saved almost what I spent on it.

    My biggest draw to the Nook is that it is upgradeable. I read a LOT so if I should ever fill it up I can add a new memory card and be back in business again.

    There was a commentor above saying that the nook doesn't have the selection that the Kindle does....My response to that is...when I was shopping the other day I had over a MILLION titles to choose from, where a kindle has something like 450,000 titles.

    Just my two cents worth. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Little late to the conversation, but have to say that I agree with you. I saw one a few weeks ago, thought it was neat, but don't know if I would use my own cold hard cash for it. I still like the feel and look and options with a real book!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u