Book Review: Grave Sins by Jenna Maclaine | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Grave Sins by Jenna Maclaine

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, March 8, 2010

Book Review: Grave Sins by Jenna Maclaine


Book Review:  Grave Sins by Jenna Maclaine
Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks; Original edition (February 3, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0312946171
ISBN-13: 978-0312946173

Rating:  3/5
Source:  Loan from a friend

Book Blurb:

In the arms of her lover Michael, Cin Craven has found satisfaction for her most primal longings, reaching heights of pleasure no mere human could ever imagine. She has also found a purpose for her unearthly powers. Cin is a member of The Righteous, a band of slayers that hunts down vampires who inflict evil upon the world. With Michael by her side, Cin’s latest mission brings her face-to-face with Marrakesh, a beautiful, half-mad vampire queen charged with slaughtering humans. If she’s found guilty, Marrakesh will pay with her life. But Cin is convinced that someone - or something - far more ruthless is trying to steal the queen’s throne. It’s a mission that will pit Michael and Cin against each other for the first time, awakening their darkest instincts and testing their love like never before…

My Review:

Liked this story featuring The Righteous, vampire enforcers for the High King. Cin Craven is the youngest member of the team, a powerful vampire witch. Loved her relationship with her consort, the sexy Michael. The other two members of the team are also a couple, Devlin and Justine. Enjoyed the interactions between Cin and the rest of The Righteous, as they seemed like real friends who worked well together.

This wasn't your typical romance, as Cin and Michael are already a committed couple. Didn't think it was your usual urban fantasy either, so guess it's more of a mystery. Only trouble was, the mystery was only a mystery to The Righteous. I'm usually not very good at mysteries and hardly ever guess whodunit, so imagine my surprise when my guess turned out to be right! Got a little frustrated that this so-called crack team of enforcers were a little naive and took so long to discover what was what.

Gave this a 3/5 as while I did enjoy it, it was a little frustrating. Seemed to bounce between being a mystery and a romance, but couldn't make up it's mind on what genre it wanted to be. Just as the romance was heating up, it switched to the mystery aspect, then suddenly we're talking vampire history. I've read other books that can include several different aspects in the same story, but this one didn't really work for me. Still, it was an enjoyable story and I would definitely read more in the Cin Craven series.



8 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds interesting. A vampire/romance for adults -- which is different than the normal YA recently!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first discovered The Righteous in an anthology called Huntress. Enjoyed the short story so much that when a friend offered to loan me this one, I jumped at the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds intriguing. I always enjoy vampire novels. The genre issues does sound a little disconcerting though. It's always frustrating when books abruptly switch from one type to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you read Wages of Sin? That's book one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard this series was a great series, so I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as much. I think I have it on my list somewhere to read some day. I am always curious to try out an author and a book or two.

    Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whilst I've been reading quite a lot of vampire fiction lately and I love a good mystery, this books doesnt seem as if it knows what it is. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don;t know if I'll give this book a go or not sorry it wasn't everything you wanted. However, I can say I love the cover. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u