Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book Review: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Book Review:  Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing; First Edition edition (March 2, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0446563080
ISBN-13: 978-0446563086

Rating:  3/5
Source: From the lovely people at Hachette Book Group

From Publishers Weekly:

Following the success of his bestselling Pride and Prejudice and Zombies with another mélange of history and horror, Grahame-Smith inserts a grandiose and gratuitous struggle with vampires into Abraham Lincoln's life. Lincoln learns at an early age that his mother was killed by a supernatural predator. This provokes his bloody but curiously undocumented lifelong vendetta against vampires and their slave-owning allies.

My Review:

This was not a fast read for me, but it was a fascinating one. Who knew that Lincoln was such a great vampire hunter, skilled enough to rival Buffy herself? Or that vampires fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War? Gives a whole new twist on the Emancipation Proclamation, doesn't it?

One of the things that I found so fascinating about this book was that it was written like a regular biography. Once the premise was set up, it had the same writing style and tone you would find in any Lincoln biography. Regular facts from his life and, oh yeah, did we mention the vampires? Very matter of fact; just another detail from his life story.

Biographies and history aren't normally my thing, but I found myself fact checking while reading this book and all of the details I checked were true! So I actually learned something from reading this book. Horrors! Just kidding, but I did enjoy the history woven into the story, and the author was talented enough to make the history enjoyable for me.

Gave this book a 3/5 rating as I enjoyed it, even though it struck me as more a biography than a fantasy. I know that adding vampires to the mix makes it a fantasy, but that was the impression I was left with after finishing the book. The author is a talented writer, and made what could have been a boring history lesson interesting by the addition of vampires. Enjoyed all the little twists to what I had learned in history class, and even liked the surprise at the ending! Not your usual fantasy vampire book, but still worth reading.

10 comments:

  1. I picked this book up a few weeks back, glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading this one. I have always been an admirer of Abraham Lincoln so I think I will enjoy the biographic aspect of the book...with a little flavor added...like you said! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to read this one. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has fascinated me since I first came across it on Amazon a while back. Yours is the first review I have read and am so thrilled to do so! I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, I've heard a lot about this one. I was expecting it to be sillier I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now see your review just plays even more into my desire to read this book! LOL. I don't usually go for "historic" ones either, but some figures and events interest me and this was one of them. Thanks for sharing a look behind the pages...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked this one. My kids still talk about the photographic proof of the vampires shown in the book. "These are sooooo photoshopped!" ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lit-Bitch - Will keep an eye out for your review, as I haven't seen too many yet and I'm curious what others thought of it.

    Michelle - The vampire aspect did add a little something "extra" to his biography! *L*

    Ryan - Will be curious to see what you think if you do decide to read this one!

    April - Thanks April! Really thought it was fascinating, so keeping an eye out for other reviews!

    Carrie - I was really impressed that the author managed to keep the story from being silly, and think he did a great job!

    GMR - Think you would like this one!

    Pam - Photoshopped? You mean those pictures weren't real??? I'm crushed! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love books that trick you into learning, lol.

    I've had my eye on this book but yours is the first review I've seen. I think I'll leave it on my eventually list for now. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally want to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete