Book Review: The Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: The Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Book Review: The Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger

Book Review: The Seven Rays by Jessica Bendinger
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster (Juv) (November 24, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1416938397
ISBN-13: 978-1416938392

Rating: 3/5
Source:  Public library

Book Blurb:
You are more than you think you are.

That is the anonymous message that Beth Michaels receives right before she starts seeing things. Not just a slept-through-my-alarm-clock, late-for-homeroom, haven't-had-my-caffeine-fix kind of seeing things. It all starts with some dots, annoying pink dots that pop up on and over her mom and her best friend's face. But then things get out of control and Beth is seeing people's pasts, their fears, their secrets, their desires. The images are coming at Beth in hi-def streaming video and she can't stop it. Everyone thinks she's crazy and she's pretty sure she agrees with them. But crazy doesn't explain the gold envelopes that have started arriving, containing seeing keys and mysterious tarot cards. To Beth, it all seems too weird to be true. You are more than you think you are? But here's the thing: What if she is?

My Review:
Have been looking forward to reading this book ever since I first saw it featured in a post by Kristi at The Story Siren. Love the cover! There's just something about it that's really appealing, and it actually has something to do with the story! How often does that happen? :-)

Have read mixed reviews about this one, but I enjoyed it. Beth is a good girl who can be a little mouthy at times. What my grandmother used to call 'fresh'. I loved her attitude, and liked that she wasn't the stereotypical smart girl with all the answers, who meekly follows orders. I could relate to her, and I enjoyed her attitude. She never became obnoxious, which was a nice change of pace.

Why is Beth seeing little pink dots? Are they floaters that her eye doctor can fix with laser surgery? Is Beth mentally ill? And what should she make of the cryptic messages that keep arriving in the mysterious gold envelopes? Rest assured that Jessica explains everything, including the title!

Gave this a 3/5 as I really liked the story, but didn't love it. Overall, the plot was pretty good, and was easy to follow. The only speedbump I hit while reading was the slang that Beth and her friend Shirl used. Seemed a little forced, and I wonder if teens really use those expressions? The slang was the only dialog that didn't ring true for me, but I enjoyed everything else. Was an fun read, mainly because of Beth, and I would definitely read the sequels should it become a series.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds like another perfect one for my classroom library. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read it, but I could probably relate to the slang. Half the time I don't have any clue what my daughter and her friends are talking about. I just nod and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha! Another case of cover envy that we share. I saw this one on the shelf at our local store and made a mental note to find out more. This is actually the first review of the title I have read...nice to know the cover goes with the story, but I think they have been a little more nowadays. Curious to read it for myself, but definitely enjoyed your review! Thanks for sharing and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting review, I was not familiar with this book before but you have me cautiously interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! While I like reading YA, sometimes the slang gets me too. I feel a bit lost. What's sad I have had to ask my son what some things mean a few times. I'll get this one in mind, very nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still a little curious on this book. I really like your honest review. I have heard so many mixed reviews and I am just curious too.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is actually the first review I've heard of this book. Despite the slang...I'm still interested in reading it. Putting it on my wish list now.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u