Sunday, February 14, 2010

Book Review: Sea Clearwater by Selene Cardenas

Book Review:  Sea Clearwater by Selene Cardenas
Paperback: 182 pages
Publisher: Infinity Publishing (October 16, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0741455625
ISBN-13: 978-0741455628

Rating:  2/5
Source:  Review copy provided by Author Marketing Experts, Inc.
 

Book Blurb:
Thirteen year old Sea Clearwater discovers fourteen year old Thomas Saise, helping unravel the truth of her identity. Join them as they battle the evil Eric Shade, ruler of black benders. In addition to learning fighting skills as a water bender, Sea gains a greater understanding of a life beyond anything she imagined as she encounters wizards, fairies, gentle creatures and violent ones.

My Review:
Trying not to sound overly harsh or critical, but you could tell that this book was written by a 13 year old. The writing is somewhat rough, and was a little hard to read at times because of awkward sentences. It read more like a rough draft instead of a finished manuscript. However, I am impressed that she was able to finish an entire book at such a young age, so kudos for perseverance!

I'm not going to lie to you; this book was a tough read. I was going to put it down several times, but kept reading because I wanted to try to figure out what I was missing. I've only seen a handful of reviews on this one, but they all raved about it and gave it a 5/5 rating. One reviewer even compared it to the Harry Potter books! Um...no.

Gave this a 2/5 rating because while I was able to finish it, I didn't really enjoy the book. There were too many rough spots with both the dialog and the plot. There are several illustrations scattered throughout the book as well, which I'm assuming were drawn by Selene. The drawings, like the book, were obviously done by an amateur and I'm not sure why they were included. However....the author was only 13 when she wrote this story. I think Selene needs a good editor to work with her and help her polish her skills, then maybe in a few years she'll be ready for publication. Is she ready yet? In my opinion, no. But in a few years...watch out!

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like the author did a good job for her age. However, I'll wait until she gets a little older and has the new editor, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested in your review. I'm one who read and rated it higher.

    For me,I kept in mind that the author was 13 years old when she wrote the book.

    What impressed me was the plot was well integrated and all conflicts and loose ends were resolved.

    I'm sure the sequel will show her increasing level of maturity and language skills.

    Her blog at clearwaterseries.com is already showing a maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam - I felt the same way! Will look her up in a few years to see if she's matured in her writing, as I think she has quite a bit of promise.

    Maralyn - I didn't want to give the author any special treatment because of her age as she is putting her book out there for people to buy. Would be a different story if she had posted it for free online, but for $12.95 you should get your money's worth. Hoping she finds a good writing coach to help her improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am kind of surprised that the publishers didn't work with her on the writing techniques. To just help relay a little better and help with the awkward sentencing. Awkward sentencing would be the first thing I would think they would look at.

    This is great to hear that at 13 she is published. Sounds like she is on to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa - Think that Selena has a bright future, but she's not there yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you kept this honest and didn't give special treatment for age. Maybe they'll back through the book with a good copy editor.

    It's pretty awesome to see a 13 year old write a book. Pretty awesome indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna - I agree that it's pretty awesome, as I've never written an entire book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly. I was also thinking about how I have a hard time putting coherent thoughts together for a simple review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alexia - I am glad you where honest in your review. It sounds as the author has a great future, with a little bit more guidance she can really go a long way. This is the constructive criticism that just may help put her there.

    ReplyDelete