Book Review: Explorer X-Alpha by LM Preston | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Explorer X-Alpha by LM Preston

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Book Review: Explorer X-Alpha by LM Preston


Book Review: Explorer X-Alpha by LM Preston
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Phenomenal One Press (February 7, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0984198903
ISBN-13: 978-0984198900

Rating:  3/5
Source:  Review copy provided by the author


Book Blurb:
For most kids, a trip to space camp is the trip of a lifetime; for Aadi it was life altering. After receiving a camp immunization needed for travel to Mars, Aadi finds that the immunization is the catalyst of an insidious experiment. He realizes what is happening too late for a change of fate. The full experiment is set in motion when he and his co-pilot, Eirena, crash in a distant galaxy called Shrenas, where they change and realize the full extent of their power. This turn of events forces him to grow up quickly, accept his change, and to decide to save a world, or to do what he was trained to do dominate it. His power is coveted by the warring leaders of Shrenas, and he is forced to choose sides a decision that may prove just how much humanity he has left.

My Review:
Thought that this was an interesting story, but it's more science fiction than fantasy. Because I'm not really into science fiction with space ships, robots, and simulations, I found myself focusing more on the character's personalities and their relationships with each other.

The main character is a boy named Aadi, a child prodigy who did not really want to attend the space camp run by his parent's employer. This is supposed to be a trial run for the camp, and all of the campers are children of TEGRC employees. The campers are divided into teams and put through various simulations and training in preparation for actual space travel. I thought that the simulations became a little violent for a book aimed at young adults, and the mystery Aadi's team discovers had disturbing implications.

Gave this book a 3/5 rating because while I enjoyed the story, I'm not a big science fiction fan. Also, the dialogue seemed a little stilted at times, and the author doesn't seem to like contractions. What child doesn't use contractions (will not instead of won't, can not instead of can't)? I did like that the girls in the story were strong and intelligent, holding their own with the boys. Not a bad story, and I'm curious what happens next with Aaid, Eirena, and the rest of the team.



6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. I won a copy from robby and once upon a book blog and I've been looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science Fiction is not really my cup of tea, but I think my son would enjoy this one. He hates to read, so I try to find anything that might interest him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've seen a lot about this book, lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this one even though I wished it was set in a fairy kingdom instead. I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if my son would enjoy these books. I'm not sure, but I think I may have to enter and if I win I will have to share them with him.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dannie - Looking forward to hearing what you think!

    Pam - I've never been a big science fiction fan either, but love fantasy! Give me talking unicorns or a vampire and I'm happy! :D

    Carrie - It's been fun reading all of the different reviews on this book. So many different opinions out there!

    Ryan - Exactly! Would have been right up my alley if it was set in a fairy kingdom!

    Melissa - If he likes sci fi, I think he would like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u