Book Review: Maze Runner by James Dasher | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Maze Runner by James Dasher

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Review: Maze Runner by James Dasher

Book Review: Maze Runner by James Dasher
Maze Runner by James Dasher
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (October 6, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0385737947
ISBN-13: 978-0385737944

Rating: 4/5
Source: Public Library

Book Blurb:
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade - a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up - the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

My Review:
Saw this book on several different blogs last year, so picked up a copy at my local library. Read it last fall and really enjoyed it, but never finished my review for some reason. As I enjoyed the book, I'd like to now finish and recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA fantasy fiction!

It's a bit of a mystery, as we don't know why the young boys are sent to the glade and what they are supposed to accomplish. I've seen some reviews compare this story to Lord of the Flies, but aside from featuring boys, I don't see any other similarities. The Gladers are not uncivilized, and have a nice system set up in order to survive while trying to solve the puzzle of the maze.

This was a fun, original, action packed story. Gave it a rating of 4/5 as I really enjoyed it. The ending was a little abrupt, but set things up nicely for the next installment. Dasher is a very talented, creative writer who has written the start of a really good trilogy!


12 comments:

  1. I loved this book - loved it! It's one of my favorites of 2009. It's definitely a must-read.

    Thanks for following me at Book Dreaming! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the only one who hasn't read this. I might read it for the YA reading challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't gotten to read this one yet, but it does sound good. I'll put it on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! You gave it about the same rating I did. I agree that the ending was pretty abrupt and sort of depressing, but I'll watch out for the second installment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon - It was a pretty good read, wasn't it? :D

    bookmagic & Pam - Think you would both enjoy this one!

    Jenn - Hoping that book 2 is as good! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, love the header! You got lots of stuff done this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. J.Kaye - Thanks! I'm pleased with the way it turned out, and amazed that I was able to change code like that! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really curious of this book. I have it on my list to get and read. I am hoping I will win it over at Lhartness's blog giveaway. I have seen there is a book 2 and then a 3 but book 2 should be coming out - I think maybe this year?

    I am going to have to get this one as well. *sigh* I just don't have enough time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa - I know what you mean! Never seems to be enough time to read all of the books we want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just received this book for Christmas and can't wait to read it! Just have to finish the final two review books first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought this book for my hubby for Christmas. When he's done reading it, it'll be my turn. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. **Spoiler Alertishness** Great review. I do agree that the end was abrupt, but I have one other little issue with the book, and it may very well be explained in the next title, but what is up with the telepathy? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u