Book Review: Devouring by Simon Holt | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Devouring by Simon Holt

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book Review: Devouring by Simon Holt

Book Review: Devouring by Simon HoltReading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (June 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 031602712X
ISBN-13: 978-0316027120

Rating: 3/5
Source: Public Library

Book Blurb:When Reggie finds an old journal and reads about the Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, she assumes they are just the musings of some lunatic author. But soon, they become a terrifying reality when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims. Risking her life and her sanity, Reggie enters a living nightmare to save the people she loves. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?

My Review:
After hearing about this series on various other blogs, I snapped up a copy of Soulstice (book 2) at a book sale. Since I now owned the sequel, borrowed this one to make sure I liked it before paying full price at the bookstore. Let's just say that I'm glad I borrowed it instead of buying it. The story took awhile to engage my interest and I don't know if I would have kept reading after the first chapter if I hadn't heard good things about it on other blogs.

Reggie is a normal teenager who resents having to play mother to her younger brother and doesn't like that she has so much responsibility at such a young age. It was refreshing to have a believable teen with no superpowers as a lead character, and that is one of the reasons I kept reading.

After reading an old journal about evil creatures called Vours to her younger brother Henry, Reggie begins to suspect that Henry has become a victim and is trapped in a living nightmare. It's up to Reggie and her friend Aaron to figure things out and try to save Henry. The story started off a little slow, but did pick up the pace after awhile.

Gave this book a 3/5 rating as I thought it was just okay. Didn't keep me on the edge of my seat or scare the pants off me, but didn't bore me to tears either. The fears that the characters have to try and overcome were a little cliched and I would have liked to have seen a bit more originality there, but the descriptions were pretty well done. Since I already own the sequel, I'll read it to see what happens next, but I'm in no hurry. I'd recommend that you check out several reviews to make up your mind if you want to read this one or not, as some people loved it while my reaction was more tepid.

If anyone has reviewed this book, I'd be happy to link it here for comparison's sake.

13 comments:

  1. This one sounds good from the blurb. I'm glad you posted the review so I will know not to waste my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pam, this one did sound good from the blurb. I think I will wait before actively seeking this one out/buying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I have not heard much on this book. It sounds like it may have a good idea to it but doesn't really pan out. Thanks for the review. I think I may pass on this one as well with the increasingly long list of books to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam - I liked the idea of the Vours, but the book just didn't grab me like it seems to have grabbed others. Maybe one of your kids would like it though?

    April - Should you decide to read it, you may want to borrow it from the library instead of buying it.

    Melissa - There are several great reviews about this book on BN.com and Amazon, but it just didn't impress me all that much. Maybe the sequel will be better but like you, I have several other books on my TBR pile I need to get to first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a shame you didn't rate this book. I found myself longing to read it, read your review and changed my mind at least about buying it, I still might see if our library has a copy though. Thanks Alexia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I haven't seen this book before, but it sounds intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Petty - Think the library is a good option, as if you don't like it, no money lost! If you do like it, can always buy your own copy if you want it for your shelves. It's a win-win!

    Shannon - I like the idea of the Vours, but the book didn't "wow" me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad it wasn't as good as it sounded. Thanks for the review, I think I'll skip this one

    ReplyDelete
  9. bookmagic - I'm hoping that the sequel lives up to the promise, as it does have potential.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this one last year, and also thought the blurb was better than the actual book. However, I still liked it and also read the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's a shame that this book didn't grab you - I thought it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. I haven't managed to grab the second book yet but hopefully I will get my hands on a copy soon! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. private amateure

    Sexchat

    privat sex

    ReplyDelete
  13. I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u