Book Review: Once A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Once A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Book Review: Once A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 304 pages
Publisher: Clarion Books (September 14, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0547223994
ISBN-13: 978-0547223995

Rating: 4/5
Source: Library



Book Blurb:
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search - and the stranger - will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.

My Review:
As a younger sister who was expected to follow in her perfect older sister's footsteps, I could totally relate to Tamsin. What younger sister wouldn't be tempted to impersonate Miss Perfect if the opportunity presented itself? Of course, none of us are witches who have been told from birth that we were destined to be one of the most Talented and powerful witches in history, only to never have her talent manifest. So yeah, Tamsin has it a little rougher than the bookworm sister of a cheerleader, but that only made me like her more!

Tamsin is a very likable character, and I loved her large, crazy, extended family and their various powers. Seemed like everyone in the family had a power of some sort, useful or not, everyone except Tamsin. Despite feeling like a disappointment to her family and wanting nothing more than to be an ordinary girl, Tamsin is resourceful and determined to prove herself. With the help of a childhood friend, she sets off on what turns into a quest to save her family and fulfil her destiny.

This was a fast, enjoyable read with good writing and a decent plotline. The ending left itself wide open for a sequel, but I haven't been able to find any details on the next book yet. But whenever it comes out, I'll definitely be picking up a copy! Gave it a 4/5 rating as I really enjoyed this story!

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good read. I may have to pick this one up after Christmas. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you liked it! I was lucky enough to read it pre-release on NetGalley and then connect with the author on Twitter! Won my own signed copy so I can reread it again (but of course). Totally agree with you on the ending...although I haven't heard any details on a sequel as of yet either. Thanks for sharing!

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you enjoyed this book. I have read some reviews of the book that make it sound so so. It sounds like a light easy read for fun. So thanks for the kinder review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book reminds me of one of my favourite shows Charmed. It is on my TBR list, I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds like something my daughter would enjoy. I will tell her about it and we'll see if it's at our library or the used book store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon - If you do pick this one up, let me know what you think. I've read mixed reviews, but I really liked it!

    GMR - Cool! Will look for the author on Twitter. Thanks for the heads up!

    Melissa - I thought it was a fast, fun read, so am puzzled by the so so reviews. Just different tastes I guess.

    MarceJ - Thanks! Never saw Charmed, but I have a co-worker who raved about it, so I may have to recommend this book to him.

    Pam - Think your daughter may like this one! Keep waiting for her to do a guest post on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u