Book Review: A Note From An Old Acquaintance by Bill Walker | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: A Note From An Old Acquaintance by Bill Walker

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Book Review: A Note From An Old Acquaintance by Bill Walker


Am very excited to be part of my very first blog tour! Received a review copy of A Note From An Old Acquaintance in order to take part in a Pump Up Your Book Promotion tour. As I've never done a blog tour before, thought I would just get my feet wet by doing a book review. Maybe down the road I'll tackle an interview, but thought I should stick with what I know, which is reading and reviewing! So here we go.....


Paperback: 360 pages
Publisher: iUniverse
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1440133336
ISBN-13: 978-1440133336


Book Blurb:
Brian Weller is a haunted man. It's been two years since the tragic accident that left his three-year-old son dead and his wife in an irreversible coma. A popular author of mega-selling thrillers, Brian's life has reached a crossroads: his new book is stalled, his wife's prognosis is dire, and he teeters on the brink of despair. Everything changes the morning an e-mail arrives from Boston artist Joanna Richman. Her heartfelt note brings back all the poignant memories: the night their eyes met, the fiery passion of their short-lived affair, and the agonizing moment he was forced to leave Joanna forever. Now, fifteen years later, the guilt and anger threaten to overwhelm him. Vowing to make things right, Brian arranges a book-signing tour that will take him back to Boston. He is eager to see Joanna again, but remains unsure where their reunion will lead. One thing is certain: the forces that tore their love asunder will stop at nothing to keep them apart. Filled with tender romance and taut suspense, A Note from an Old Acquaintance is an unforgettable story about fate, honor, and the power of true love.

My Review:
The story started out in the present, where Brian is trying to deal with the aftermath of a horrible accident that left his wife in a coma and his little boy dead. Although it's been almost two years, the pain is still fresh and he's having a rough time. That's when he receives an email titled "A note from an old acquaintance," bringing Joanna back into his life. Then after about 50 pages, the story turns into a flashback of when Brian and Joanna first met. There's even a flashback during the flashback! I'd say that the bulk of the book is their back story, then we finally come back to the present.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. The flashback is a nice love story, but I didn't feel that it really connected to the first part of the book. The book started off with Brian dealing with his grief, then that's it. His wife and son rarely get mentioned in the rest of the book. And I would have really liked to have known more about Penny and how they met. I realize that this was Joanna and Brian's story, but I hungered for more.

Think I liked Brian more than I liked Joanna. He seemed nice and easy-going, even if he did get over his grief awfully fast. Joanna was supposed to be this beautiful, vivacious, talented woman who had men falling in love with her at a glance, but I thought she came off a little immature and selfish. Did not like Joanna cheating on Erik, but that's a personal quirk. Tried to understand Joanna's point of view but again, I never really warmed up to her. Also thought that the ending was wrapped up a little too fast, and was too nice and neat. A little disappointed there, but still okay with it. And without giving anything away, I appreciated that Walker resisted the urge to go down certain cliched paths with Zach.

Walker is a very talented writer, but some of the passages were a little too descriptive for my taste. Don't really need to know that many details that do nothing to move the story forward. And whenever someone mentions a brand name, I feel like it's product placement. I know that some readers really enjoy overly descriptive passages, but unfortunately, I'm not one of them. So now you know some of my reader pet peeves. That being said, I thought that all in all, the writing was well done and it was a nice story. Gave it a 3/5 rating, and would definitely read his future books.


The Author:
Bill Walker is a graphic designer specializing in book and dust jacket design, and has worked on projects by Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Dean Koontz, and Stephen King. Between his design work and his writing, he spends his spare time reading voraciously and playing very loud guitar, much to the chagrin of his lovely wife and two sons. Bill makes his home in Los Angeles and can be reached through his web site: http://www.billwalkerdesigns.com/


Thanks to Tracee at Pump Up Your Books for providing the review copy!

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the review! Although, I'm not certain this book would be for me, I can definitely see the appeal for some readers. The love story aspect should shed a little light on a darker time in the main characters life.
    Congrat's on your first book blog tour....exciting isn't it? Not only do you get the chance to read a new book, but share it with even more readers because of the tour! Now that your feet are wet, can't wait to see what you tackle on your next tour!
    Thanks for sharing!
    (Oh, and psst! Check my blog post from today...just saying...there's something there you may want to see..) =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GMR - Good point about the love story shedding a little light on the dark times. Heading over to your blog now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I was really caught by some of the descriptive words you used like hunger for more.

    I don't think this book would be for me either, but I loved the review. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great review. A flashback of a flashback, didn't it all get very complicated? Not too sure that this is the book for me neither.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Petty Witter - The flashback within the flashback was sort of funny, especially when I announced it to the room at large! Just got blank looks. *L*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't sound like the book for me either. I don't really need overly descriptive scenes. I usually can figure it out on my own!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good review. I was curious about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam - Took part in a discussion about this over at ning, where I was in the minority. Good to know I'm not the only one who could do with less descriptive prose! Aside from that one quirk, I think he's a good writer.

    Sheila - Let me know what you think should you decide to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Probably not for me but I appreciate your great (and honest) review. And I'm with you on not loving too much descriptive prose. It makes me either fall asleep, skim through or quit the book altogether. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alyssa - I tend to skip over the descriptions as well. Good to know we're not alone! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u