Mini-Review: FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer | Alexia's Books and Such: Mini-Review: FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. ~Douglas Adams

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Mini-Review: FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Tor Books; Reprint edition (September 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 076532413X
ISBN-13: 978-0765324139

Rating: 3/5
Source: Library

Book Blurb:
What would you do if you got a glimpse of your own personal future and it looked bleak? Try to change things, or accept that the future is unchangeable and make the best of it?

My Review:
I picked up this book because I like the TV show so much that I wanted to learn more. There are major differences between the two, mainly that the flashforward in the book is 20 years in the future, while the flashforward in the TV show is only 6 months. I think 6 months makes the story more compelling, and has a more immediate effect on the characters and the choices they start making.

While the book centered on scientists and explained the scientific cause of the flashforward, I prefer the FBI agents on the show not knowing the cause. I have to admit that all of the scientific explanations bogged the story down and I skimmed over those pages. To be honest, those parts made my eyes glaze over as though I was back in Science 101.

Gave this a 3 out of 5 rating as it's a great premise and I liked it enough to finish it, but it was a little on the dry side and I could have done without all of the science. Not a must read, but just okay.

13 comments:

  1. I also love the tv show but had no idea there was a book - perhaps it's mentioned on the programme but, to be honest, I generally have my glasses off by this point and whilst I can see the picture, any writing is usually too small for me to read. Thanks for the post anyway, this book could make a great present for bro-in-law 1 who is a huge fan of the series. A win-win situation as I'd then be able to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever watched the tv show. Anything about science textbooks makes my eyes glaze over. I'll have to pass on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the show though I haven't seen the last few episodes yet. I almost picked this book up at the store the other day and now I'm glad I didn't. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petty Witter - Don't think they mentioned the book during the show, but I saw something about it in a magazine article. Absolutely LOVE the show! :)

    Pam - I highly recommend the show, as I think it's one of the best new shows this year! Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

    Ryan - Another FlashForward fan! I'm hoping that the writers can keep up the good work and don't jump the shark any time soon. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen the tv show. I have seen the commercials and think it looks good, but for some reason not ever found it on tv.

    Sounds as the book is just average. Well, this must be one of those few cases where the show is actually better than the book. Oh well, I will have to check out the tv show.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, some how I double posted. Tried to delete one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa - You should definitely check out the TV show! Think it's on Thursday nights, but I tape it so I'm not sure. No worries about the double posting...blogger does that sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is disappointing that the book was a let down! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allison - Have to admit that I was a little disappointed, but it was still an okay read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree 6 months is better. Probably won't read this as I don't like dry and I'm not that impressed with the TV show either. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alyssa - I was a little disappointed with the last episode of the TV show, but still think it's worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen previews for the show and it looks good but haven't actually watched, then my TV broke :-( Looks like I'll have to catch it on DVD when it comes out! Not sure I'd pick up the book though, if you think it's dry.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u