In My Mailbox (20) | Alexia's Books and Such: In My Mailbox (20)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, November 14, 2009

In My Mailbox (20)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren.




I received a Truly, Madly ARC from Barnes & Noble's new Sneak Peek book club. It's a lighter version of their First Look program. Looks like a fun read!
Meet Lucy Valentine; sassy, fabulously original…and psychic. Lucy hails from a long line of matchmakers known as Valentine INC. According to family legend, the Valentines have been blessed by Cupid with the ability to help couples find true love. Trouble is Lucy’s powers were zapped away by an electrical surge and now all she can find are lost objects. But what good is that in the matchmaking world?


Picked up The Mermaid's Madness by Jim Hines at the bookstore with an awesome 30% off coupon! I love Jim Hines, and his princess books totally rock!
What would happen if a star writer went back to the darker themes of the original fairy tales for plots, and then crossed the Disney princesses with Charlie's Angels? What he'd end up with is The Mermaid's Madness - a whole new take on The Little Mermaid. And with Jim C. Hines, of Jig the Goblin fame, penning the tale, you can bet it won't be "They lived happily ever after."


Picked up Dying Bites by D.D. Barant during the same shopping trip. This one was recommended to me by Amazon, but I've never heard anything about this author. Read the first page and it sounds promising, so am excited to make a new discovery!
Her job description is the “tracking and apprehension of mentally-fractured killers.” What this really means in FBI profiler Jace Valchek’s brave new world - one in which only one percent of the population is human - is that a woman’s work is never done. And real is getting stranger every day…
I also received Stephen King's Under the Dome this past week, but that's an early Christmas present for my hubby. The thing is HUGE! Over 1,000 pages! But I couldn't resist taking advantage of the $9 price. He's a slow reader, so betting it will take him months to finish and will be awhile before I get to read it! *L*

26 comments:

  1. I saw something about Truely Madly. I will be watching for your review. Happy Reading.

    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh i can't wait to read your review of Under the Dome, it's on my TBR-list but i'm waiting to get the general feeling about it before ordering it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some great books, especially Mermaid Madness. I can't wait to read your review of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I really want to read Dying Bites and Truly Madly! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elie - Truely Madly looks like a nice, fast, fun read, so looking forward to it!

    Pattepoilue - May be awhile before I can read Under the Dome, as DH gets first dibs and it's a huge book! But it sounds intriguing, so will definitely read it sooner or later!

    Ryan - Mermaid Madness should be good, as Jim Hines rocks!

    Steph - Looking forward to Dying Bites because I'm not familiar with DD, and I love discovering new to me authors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know B&N had another advance-reader club. Good to know! Enjoy your books! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie - I think B&N has three bookclubs like this now, maybe four but I'm not positive. Love B&N! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly Madly looks really cute -- I haven't heard of that one before, but I love paranormal romances. I'll have to add it to my wishlist.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to your review of Mermaid Maddness, it is on my list of books
    Ü

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie - I'm looking forward to reading Truly Madly, and BN.com always has good discussions in their book clubs, so should be fun!

    Tena - Have you read the other princess books by Jim Hines? Too funny! I love his goblin series as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly Madly sounds like it'll be a fun read! Don't you just love getting ARC's?

    Enjoy!

    Jessica W.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dying Bites look reaaaally good! Actually, they all do! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like a great haul, loveleh


    I've done my own IMM this week, if you're interested...

    Aimee :)
    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great week you had, looks like you got some very interesting books this week. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm *loving* the sound of The Mermaid's Madness there. That's a new one on me, so thank you for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome selection. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great books! I never heard of them, so I cant wait for you to review them. Enjoy reading them.

    Au revoir, Nina

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh mermaids! nice! can't let a good bargain get away! hope you enjoy them all! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I picked up Mermaid's Madness a few weeks ago too! Haven't had a chance to read it yet though. Looks fun. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great books you've got, enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Mermaid's Madness looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ladystorm - Don't you just love finding great new books?

    Jessica - Couldn't agree more! Love finding a new ARC in my mailbox!

    Wendy - I'm really looking forward to reading Dying Bites, as I haven't heard anything about this author.

    Aimee - Thanks for stopping by! Looks like you had a great week as well!

    Rebecca - So many good books this week that it's hard to decide what to read next!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lauren - I highly recommend anything by Jim Hines, as he's a great writer and too, too funny!

    EternalJade - Thanks!

    Nina - I'm really excited about Dying Bites, as new-to-me authors have so many possibilities!

    Story Siren - Thanks for hosting the awesome IMM! I find so many great books this way!

    PolishOutlander - Mermaid's Madness does look like fun, doesn't it? Will keep an eye out for your review!

    Marjolein - Thanks!

    inthehammock - All of Jim Hine's books are pretty interesting, and I love his goblin series as well. Give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like the sound of Dying Bites. Will look into this one. Great book week and I can't wait to buy and read Under the Dome, love SK. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Book Chick - May have to move Dying Bites to the top of my TBR pile, as it looks so good! And DH started reading Under the Dome and says it's really good, so hopefully I'll get to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u