Book Review: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, November 20, 2009

Book Review: Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

Mass Market Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Orbit (November 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0316056588
ISBN-13: 978-0316056588

Rating: 5/5
Source: Personal library


Book Blurb:
Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human.

My Review:
Jane True is my new hero! Rather than being the typical urban fantasy heroine who is gorgeous, smart, strong, sassy, and kicks butt, Jane is a believable woman who actually screams when confronted by scary vampires and monsters! How refreshing is that? Most characters in this genre would claim to be scared, but still make a smartass remark to show how tough they are. While Jane still takes things better than I probably would, she is a breath of fresh air and I loved, loved, loved this book!

Let me back up for a moment. In the interest of full disclosure, I have been waiting for this book for months! I follow Nicole Peeler on Twitter and her blog and was impatiently waiting for this book to finally come out. I can't believe how good it is, especially for a first novel! You know how sometimes you're reading along at a fast pace then BAM! you get hit in the face with a typo or inconsistency or something else that stops you dead in your tracks? Well, nothing like that in this book. Either Nicole is incredibly talented, she's conning us and this isn't really her first book, she has an amazing editor, or some combination of all of the above. This book was amazing!

Now back to the story: Jane grew up in a small town, complete with a "history". Crazy mom disappeared. Big scandal when her boyfriend died. Always been a little weird. All in all, Jane has not had an easy life. Things start to make a little more sense after she meets Ryu, a sexy investigator who is more than he seems. Loved the interaction between Jane, Ryu, and the various people he introduces her to.

Was originally going to give this book a 4/5 rating as while I enjoyed it, I didn't stay up all night to finish reading it. Then I realized that I've been talking about this book non-stop ever since I finished it, and recommending it to everyone I know. Figured that must be worth a 5/5 rating, as I really, really loved this book! Great writing, interesting characters, a plot that made sense, and a great beginning to a new series! Great job Ms. Peeler!

13 comments:

  1. Great review. I have this on my shelf waiting to be read. Did it end with a cliffhanger? If it did, I am tempted to wait for the next one so I can read them together.
    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! This was a fantastic book and I loved it so much. I am happy that a chance sighting on another blog that was posting the cover for the book caught my eye. I am going to be even more impatient for summer 2010 now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elie - This was a great read! Nicole set things up for the next book, but wasn't really what I'd call a cliffhanger. Don't have to wait for the next one, as this one can definitely stand alone.

    Cat - Glad to hear you loved it as much as I did! Summer 2010 won't get here fast enough! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh, you know this is part of the picks for December over at B&N. I was not sure if I wanted to get this one. Now... you have sold me. I am going to have to add this one to the list for December reads. I have a few for the month now for discussion.

    Great review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa - Didn't know it was being featured over at Barnes and Noble. Will have to check it out, as I'd love to join the discussion. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wanting to read this one for quite awhile now. I plan on reading it very soon. So glad to see you enjoyed so much, that ups my anticipation of reading this one. Thanks!

    Hope your healing terrifically and relaxing with a pile of books next you. Oh, and chocolate! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna - Can't wait to see what you think of this one, as I totally fell in love with Jane! Who knew selkies were so cool? *L* Had DH pick up some Lindor chocolates for me. Very helpful with my recovery! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds totally cute and fun. glad you enjoyed it so much. I love when you can't stop talking about a book- awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found you review via the 100+ Reading Challenge. This book looks really interesting, though I've not heard of it before. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the library or bookstore. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie - Couldn't stop talking about this one, so bumped the rating up to a 5/5. Very cute, fun, well-done book!

    Susan - Thanks for stopping by! I highly recommend this one if you like fantasy in the slightest, as Nicole is a very talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good! I love your rating change.... I have done that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you and everyone else has convinced me. I ordered this book today over at Amazon. I am looking forward to reading this book now.

    Yeah, I hope to get this book read and join in on the discussion over at B&N. It is a December pick over on the Paranormal board. Hope to see you over there. My pen name there is Melhay, incase you are curious.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheila - Glad to know I'm not the only one who changes her mind about ratings! :)

    Melissa - Yea! Can't wait to hear what you think about it! I'll look for you over at B&N!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u