Friday, November 27, 2009

Book Review: Covet by J.R. Ward

Mass Market Paperback: 496 pages
Publisher: Signet (September 29, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0451228219
ISBN-13: 978-0451228215

Rating: 1/5
Source: Public Library


Book Blurb:
Redemption isn't a word Jim Heron knows much about - his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charge with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he's good with that - until fate intervenes in the form of a tough-talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart - and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.

My Review:

Words alone cannot express how very, very disappointed I am with this book. I really like Ward and had high hopes for this book. It's the first in a series and to be honest, I was hoping for another Black Dagger Brotherhood. No such luck. I just don't care about Jim or Vin or Marie-Terese or Devina. I kept reading long after I would have stopped with another author because of Ward's track record, but finally gave up around the 28th chapter. Thought I would push through and finish it, but simply can't read another word.

My problems were mainly with the characters and the plot, as the writing itself wasn't bad. Don't get me wrong, as I think that Ward is a talented writer, but this series just isn't for me. I didn't care about Jim, who comes back from the dead with a mission to save souls. Didn't care about either Vin, who is his first mission, or the two women in Vin's life. And the plot didn't move fast enough for me either. To put it simply, I was bored.

All in all, I was very disappointed with this book. Looking forward to the next one in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but won't be reading any future books in the Fallen Angels saga. Think this is only the second book I haven't been able to finish since I've started blogging, so hoping my next book will be better!

10 comments:

  1. It stinks when you've been looking forward to a book and then it is terrible. I've read several of those lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. akk, I hate when you eally want to read something then it disappoints. This seems to be getting mixed reviews but that cover his HOTT, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saddens me to see so many reviews that aren't happy with Covet or they found it a mediocre read. I have this one but I might wait until the next comes out before I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam - I know what you mean! Hoping I get back on track with my next book.

    Mel - Can't argue with that...the cover IS hot! :D

    Donna - I've been hearing that. Wonder if people would have liked it if Ward hadn't done such a good job with the Black Dagger Brotherhood?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats too bad! I havent read this author but I sure know what it feels like when a book disappointments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila - I'd recommend her other series to you, but don't think you're into vampires. It really is disappointing when a book you've looked forward to lets you down. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree and now I'm kind of proud I finished it. Good stamina! But you haven't missed something!
    This book is just Blah! Hope she doesn't ruin Lover Mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susi - I tried to finish it! Honest! Congrats for having more stamina than me! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you were so disappointed. I have not picked this book up and don't have it on my list to get either. For some reason the book just doesn't call to me, the cover or the description. I even read a few paragraphs to see if I was missing something but just didn't seem like I would really like it so much. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa - Believe me, you're not missing anything! *L*

    ReplyDelete