In My Mailbox (17) | Alexia's Books and Such: In My Mailbox (17)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, October 23, 2009

In My Mailbox (17)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. I did much better this week and only received a few books. Working on reducing my TBR piles, but it's harder than I expected!


Received Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow from a contest hosted by Breia at Literaturely Speaking. I adore Lilith Saintcrow and am really looking forward to reading her new young adult series!

Dru Anderson has what her grandmother called “the touch.” (Comes in handy when you’re traveling from town to town with your dad, hunting ghosts, suckers, wulfen, and the occasional zombie.)

Then her dad turns up dead - but still walking - and Dru knows she’s next. Even worse, she’s got two guys hungry for her affections, and they’re not about to let the fiercely independent Dru go it alone. Will Dru discover just how special she really is before coming face-to-fang with whatever - or whoever - is hunting her?

Bought Wicked Game using one of the awesome coupons an online bookstore keeps sending me. How am I supposed to wrestle my TBR down to managable levels if they keep tempting me like this? *L*

Recovering con artist Ciara Griffin is trying to live the straight life, even if it means finding a (shudder!) real job. She takes an internship at a local radio station, whose late-night time-warp format features 1940s blues, '60s psychedelia, '80s goth, and more, all with an uncannily authentic flair. Ciara soon discovers just how the DJs maintain their cred: they're vampires, stuck forever in the eras in which they were turned.

Ciara's first instinct, as always, is to cut and run. But communications giant Skywave wants to buy WVMP and turn it into just another hit-playing clone. Without the station -- and the link it provides to their original Life Times -- the vampires would "fade," becoming little more than mindless ghosts of the past. Suddenly a routine corporate takeover is a matter of life and undeath.

To boost ratings and save the lives of her strange new friends, Ciara rebrands the station as "WVMP, the Lifeblood of Rock 'n' Roll." In the ultimate con, she hides the DJs' vampire nature in plain sight, disguising the bloody truth as a marketing gimmick. WVMP becomes the hottest thing around -- next to Ciara's complicated affair with grunge vamp Shane McAllister. But the "gimmick" enrages a posse of ancient and powerful vampires who aren't so eager to be brought into the light. Soon the stakes are higher -- and the perils graver -- than any con game Ciara's ever played....


Hope everyone got lots of goodies in their mailboxes this week!

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Alexia! I am so envious of all you book bloggers in the US! You get to receive these fabulous books!

    Here in Manila, we don't get that many freebies. I guess it's because we only have a few local publishers. The Philippine reading market is still looking for US books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just picked up strange angels. Fingers crossed for it kicking ass as much as her adult novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wicked Game is really good. A different view on vampires, which is quite welcome. I had lots of fun reading it, i hope you enjoy it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books - have read and reviewed Strange Angels, thought it was quite good. Hope you enjoy them both :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter - Sorry to hear that you have such limited reading choices. Think that would really be hard for a book lover like you! :(

    Hagelrat - Fingers crossed!

    Pattepoilue - Glad to hear that you liked it. The whole vampire DJ idea sounds great!

    Book Chick - Will go check out your review! Love Lilith, so looking forward to seeing how she does with a YA series.

    Cindy - Thanks! Looking forward to reading them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books!
    Strange Angels is good and I cannot wait for her next book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ravenous Reader - I've heard nothing but good things about Strange Angels, so really looking forward to reading it! Love Lilith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great books you got this week. Strange Angels looks really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you got two great books. I haven't read either author but keep hearing great things about them. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca - I'm really looking forward to Strange Angels, as Lilith is one of my favorite authors!

    Ryan - Both of these authors are great! You should give them a try one of these days, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you write a review for Strange Angles. Love her Dante Valentine series and I'm really curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sheila - Thanks for stopping by! :)

    Susi - I love her Valentine series as well, so will definitely review Strange Angels and let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These do look good. I don't know why I read your "To be read" column because I always find more books I want to read!!!!! *L* You make them sound so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u